Chapter 9: Hunger for Adventure

*Hey, everyone. Sorry for not updating this story in almost 2 years. I've been pretty busy with college and my other stories, so it was difficult coming back to this one. Thankfully, I managed to finally write out Chapter 9, so I hope you guys enjoy it.

P.S. I really enjoyed playing Shining Pearl and Pokémon: Legends Arceus in the meantime, so elements from those games will be implemented into the plot soon. I'm also excited for Scarlet/Violet as well.

After officially leaving Sandgem Town, the group continued to trek their way through Route 202. It was, for the most part, a concrete trail surrounded by some grass patches and multiple trees of varying sizes. Overall, this route was easy to navigate and would lead straight to Jubilife City in no time at all. Unfortunately, after only a few minutes passed, Goku was already beginning to crack under the overwhelming pressure of his empty stomach.

With each step he took, Goku began to grow more and more overwhelmed by delirious thoughts of food. A little bit of drool trickled out of his mouth as he limped forward, dragging his new backpack across the pavement without much concern.

"Are we almost there?" Goku groaned in delirium. Dawn and Barry slightly chuckled at Goku's "exhaustion" while Vegeta, as usual, just rolled his eyes.

Dawn blankly shook her head from side-to-side. "It's only been five minutes, Goku. Just be patient."

"Yeah. I'm a professional when it comes to impatience and even I don't act that bad!" Barry snorted in disbelief.

Goku stopped for a moment, clasping both hands on his knees to take a deep breath. He looked at the two with a distressed grimace.

"I'm trying my best, guys. You just don't know what it's like to have a Saiyan stomach." Goku sighed. "We have to eat much more than usual."

"How much more?" Barry asked, wondering if he really wanted to hear the answer or not.

Still panting, Goku cupped his chin and made a general estimate of the average diet for Saiyans like him and Vegeta.

"Well, I don't know the exact number, but let's just say that breakfast, lunch, and dinner are almost doubled on a daily basis. It depends on my training schedule." Goku honestly exclaimed with a small shrug.

"Doubled?! Geez! How you fit it all, I'll never know!" Barry shouted in surprise. To him, it was a miracle Goku and Vegeta weren't humanoid Lickilickys by this point.

"Now, you can see why me and Vegeta can get hungry so fast. It's unbearable!" Goku held his stomach as it growled in utter despair.

"That's no excuse to hold us up, Kakarot. Like the girl said before, we'll eat in the next city over." Vegeta reminded his fellow Saiyan. He didn't even wait for Goku's reply to start walking again.

"But, Vegeta—"

"Just ignore your damned stomach and get a move on!" Vegeta barked in annoyance. Goku, not wishing to instigate Vegeta's heated temper, nodded and quietly kept moving. He also strapped his backpack on for good measure.

"Fine. Sorry for the hold up, guys." Goku firmly apologized for his actions. Dawn lightly grinned at Goku, deciding to walk beside him.

"No need to be sorry, Goku. You and Vegeta just got here. Of course you guys need to eat." Dawn kindly assured the boy. "It won't be long until Jubilife City, I promise."

"Thanks for understanding, Dawn." Goku smiled back in gratitude. The two then kept walking in Barry and Vegeta's stead.

Barry, starting to get a bit antsy himself, decided to scout out the area to see how close Jubilife City was from their current location. He opened his satchel and brough out the newly-caught Starly's Poké Ball.