Chapter 4: For Starters

"So, you and Vegeta are from a race of extraterrestrial warriors called the Saiyans? And Kakarot's your birth name?" Dawn asked hesitantly in a mix of understanding and progressive stupefaction. Ever since departing from Lake Verity to Professor Rowan's laboratory in Sandgem Town, her and Barry were constantly barraging Goku with question after question about his heritage, origins, and basic characteristics. Vegeta, not at call caring about satisfying their childish curiosities, simply followed behind the aforementioned Pokémon Professor with crossed arms and his trademark scowl of resentment. This, unfortunately, left Goku wide open for the duo's makeshift interrogation.

"Pretty much. I crash-landed on Earth sometime after the destruction of Planet Vegeta, so Son Goku's the only name I've gone by for quite a while. It wasn't until my older brother, Raditz, came that things changed." Goku sighed in recollection, his eyes narrowed just thinking of the Saiyan invasion that occurred so many years ago. Dawn, taking note of Goku's strained expression, decided to make her questions less personal for the time being.

"That must have been difficult to deal with..." murmured Dawn in slight sympathy. She couldn't begin to imagine what it would be like to have your identity and biological framework be put into question within the timespan of only one day. While she was raised with both of her parents for the most part, Goku's, on the other hand, were already gone moments after he was born. To believe that your one thing and then told that you aren't years later has the potential to create an existential crisis that many people wouldn't be able to easily break out of.

"You don't know the half of it." Goku replied wistfully, neglecting to mention details about Gohan's kidnapping and his first of many deaths. Barry huffed in continual confoundment, nervously ruffling his blonde hair.

"Wait, if this "Planet Vegeta" was destroyed, does that mean..." Barry cautiously assumed, uncertain if he even wanted to finish that sentence with Vegeta around.

"Yes, brat. Me, Kakarot, and a few others are the only Saiyans left in existence. The others are dead. Nothing can change that." Vegeta impatiently grunted, the unfortunate fate of his people still mentally prevalent as it ever was. He glanced at Barry's widened orange eyes for a moment before scoffing and proceeding his stride. Dawn herself was also disheartened by this revelation, never hearing of an extinct race outside of certain Pokémon.

"Oh. Was it an accident?" Barry continued in stunned curiosity, assuming that some form of natural disaster might have been at play.

"No." Goku and Vegeta darkly proclaimed in unison, each of their auras heightening at the implied mention of said cause. Even though he was long vanquished by this point, just thinking of the tyrannical space emperor was enough to send chills down both Saiyans' collective spines. Especially Vegeta's.

"A-alright, a-alright. If you don't want to talk about it, just forget I asked. Hehe." Barry awkwardly chuckled as he shook both hands in front of him. Sweat was beading down his forehead, perspiring out of fear and newly elicited anxiety.

"Ahem, on a lighter note, who decided to name you Goku anyway?" The black-haired resident of Twinleaf Town questioned with her best attempt at a comforting grin.

"Hmph interesting. Something tells me the two of them have had their fair share of encounters with whatever, or whoever, killed these so-called Saiyans. I wonder if they'll be able to divulge more information in the future." Professor Rowan mused in subconscious fascination, silently listening in on the four's conversation as he navigated them to Sandgem Town. At first, he assumed that this small trip would take a lot longer than usual due to Route 201's typical influx of wild Pokémon. However, to his surprise, many of the Bidoof, Starly, and Kricketots scattered around the area seemed to be avoiding both Saiyans. Whether this was because of their immense power, strange fashion sense, or both, he couldn't know for certain, but the prospect was still fairly peculiar to witness firsthand.