Chapter 12

I was with Hermione in the library. I didn't think it was possible, but she's here even more than last semester. I guess being in a fight with Harry and Ron didn't help. The reason she had stayed behind at Christmas was to tell McGonagall about the Firebolt. Why I don't fully respect how she went about it, I respect her reasoning behind her actions. Since Christmas I've been meeting up with Hermione two days a week to work on the case for Buckbeak. While it was still holiday break I spent the other days with Harry and by default Ron.

Once the break was over I think Harry and Ron got so caught up in the firebolt drama and Harry with his patronus lessons and quidditch that they forgot about helping out with Buckbeak's case. Gryffindor has been having 5 practices a week since Ravenclaw lost since Slytherin, allowing them the chance of winning the cup. It was now the beginning of February and Hermione and I were making excellent progress on Buckbeak's case, Ernie even came and helped some days.

"What about this?" Ernie held out an article to Hermione and I.

I quickly skimmed the article about a dragon being released to a sanctuary despite injuring a local farmer because she thought she was protecting her baby dragons.

"It might help, I mean it's an instance where they let a dangerous beast off for acting within its nature." Ernie smiles at my response.

"Yeah but there were babies involved so they'll probably argue that Buckbeak wasn't protecting an infant." Hermione counters and I see Ernie visibly deflate.

Ernie has been taking this pretty seriously, not that I'm too surprised. Ernie tends to take everything that he takes on very seriously. I think both his parents must be very strict, type A personalities.

"I can see that, I say add it to the maybe pile." I say to not discourage Ernie too much.

After about another hour of reading about Hippogriff nature and previous cases I decide that I need to call it quits to focus on my other homework.

I push away the current book I'm reading, "Do you two want to work on the Arithmancy essay?"

Hermione and Ernie both agree and we all pull out our essays. This essay was on the similarities and differences between the different alphabetic systems.

We all compared what we had gotten so far, deeming that we were all on the right track. While it did require a lot of work, I did quite enjoy Arithmancy. Soon it was almost time for dinner. Hermione pulled me aside while we were putting back the books we had used.

"I wanted to thank you for still helping me even though Harry's mad at me. I know we don't talk much outside of Harry."

"You don't have to thank me, you did what you thought was best. Maybe you should have talked to Harry a bit more before turning in his broom but you had good intentions so I don't blame you for your actions. Don't let my stupid cousin and Ron convince you otherwise.," I grab onto her shoulders to make sure she doesn't just give in to their immaturity, "And we really should change the fact that we only talk or hangout when Harry is around or we're studying trying to save Harry and or something."

Hermione smiles at me and pulls me in for a hug. She pulls away and I can see unshed tears in her eyes. She really is pretty quick to cry. I try not to judge too much, she really is under a lot of stress.

"If you ever need a night to just escape let me know. We can use your face masks and drink hot chocolate in the kitchens. You could really use some girlfriends, It must be exhausting being surrounded by two boys all the time," I link my arm with hers as we walk back to the table that holds our bags.

"It does get tiring," Hermione chuckles.

"What's funny?" Ernie asks who is waiting of bus at the table.