Chapter 13

The rest of the week was mostly uneventful. The only thing happening was Buckbeak's trial. It happened yesterday but Hermione and I had yet to hear the result. It was just another reason I am happy that I decided to skip Hogsmeade today. Any note or owl would find me easier here than in Hogsmeade. It was just Neville and I in the greenhouse. I had invited Harry to join but he decided to sneak to Hogsmeade despite my many pleads and warnings not to go.

Neville and I were chatting while we were working on preparing the pots to re-pot the mandrakes.

"I have some free time now that I'm done doing research for Buckbeak's trial."

"How do you handle all your responsibilities, I have a hard enough time remembering my homework?" Neville asks.

"Good time management I guess." I shrug. "I just try to do it assignments as early as possible so I have time for my other stuff. For example I finished the charms essay and vampire essay yesterday."

"Oh no! I totally forgot about the Vampire essay! I have so many questions too. I should probably go find professor Lupin so I have time to write it." Neville starts pushing his stuff into his bag.

"Well good luck! If you have any questions after, I can try to help."

I put on my pair of earmuffs and start repotting the mandrakes, feeding them their designated foods, measuring and weighing them before placing them into their new pots. I methodically continue this process, humming 'Under the Bridge' by Red Hot Chili Peppers. Now that I was done repotting I sat down to organize all the notes and measurements I took.

I scream in shock as a sweaty and out of breath Harry, Ron and Hermione come bursting into the greenhouse.

"Merlin!" I put my hand over my chest, "What's going on, you all scared me."

It's then I realize they are all together for the first time since winter break. I also notice that Hermione's eyes are bloodshot. My stomach drops knowing I'm about to receive bad news.

"I-I-Its..." Hermione is cut off by her own tears.

Harry puts a comforting hand on her shoulder and Ron speaks up, "Its Buckbeak, he lost his trial."

I feel my throat start to tighten as my eyes start watering.

"Is there going to be an appeal?" I squeak out hoarsely.

"Yeah but you remember the statistics we read about appeals," Hermione says coming toward me.

"This is unfair," I whisper as the tears finally start to fall.

Hermione and I hug as we both release our feelings. Sad for Buckbeak and Hagrid, frustrated that all out handwork probably didn't mean anything because of Malfoy, guilt that our work wasn't enough.

I calm down a bit and notice Ron and Harry awkwardly standing off to the side.

"So I guess you made up?" I say to hopefully get past they crying session Hermione and I just had.

Ron nods, "I realized I was being kind of stupid."

I hold back a laugh but it ends up coming out as a snort.

Ron and Harry give me a funny look.

"Sorry!" I apologize not wanting to raise tension by mentioning that Ron was more than kind of stupid.

"I guess it's back to research for us, I don't know if Ernie will be able to help us as often because he's started prepping for this potion internship he has this summer." I turn slightly toward Hermione.

"Actually Ron agreed to help this time," Hermione reveals.

I turn to Ron in shock. Not that I know him super well but extra research does not seems like something he would do. I assume it must be a little bit of guilt from how he treated Hermione.