Chapter 15

It was mid May and the weather was starting to warm up. Ernie and I had started taking strolls around the black lake to take breaks from studying for the exams that were coming up the first full week of June. Not much had changed since Ernie and I became official except that there was more physical contact. We both liked the comfort of holding hands so it was rare that we weren't holding hands if we were with each other. While Hannah's teasing had stopped, it was replaced with smug grins and "I told you so's".

I was starting to get sad as summer was approaching. While the break from schoolwork was nice, I didn't want to leave Hogwarts. At least I was 14 now and I could try getting a babysitting or dog walking job so I didn't have to be stuck in the house all the time.

I felt Ernie squeeze my hand, "Lilah?"

"Yeah," I shake my head slightly as if to physically clear my mind.

"You okay? You kind of spaced out there." Concern etched on his face.

I nod, "Yeah just lost in thoughts."

While my friends know I don't have the best relationship with my parents only Hannah knows the full extent of everything, I'm assuming Ron and Hermione know because of Harry. I probably should tell Ernie considering we are now boyfriend and girlfriend. I'm pretty sure those are the kinds of things you're supposed to share with a significant other.

"So when are you gonna help me with my potion brewing skills?" I send a smile toward Ernie knowing that this topic will direct away from my zoning out.

"How about Friday? We can do it after you work with your mandrakes."

"Sounds perfect," I place a kiss on his cheek in thanks.

I pull our hands up so I can look at the time on Ernie's watch.

"Oh shoot, I gotta go. Ron and I are finishing up Buckbeak's appeal stuff, we have to send it in tonight. You could come if you want," I say.

"I would but I have a muggle studies study session soon. I'll walk you to the library though."

Ernie and I spent the walk to the library talking about which countries' teams we thought would end up qualifying for the Quidditch World Cup happening this summer.

***

Finals were now upon us and to say the whole school was stressed was an understatement. The fifth and seventh years were definitely had it the worst since they had the OWLs and NEWTs. I was pretty confident with Herbology, Charms and Magical Creatures. I was the most worried about Potions despite my many tutoring sessions with Ernie. Astronomy and History of Magic were just straight memorization so hopefully they wouldn't be too bad. The rest of the subjects would just depend on what material was on the test.

Hannah, Ernie and I were having a last minute study session at breakfast before our fist exam for Arithmancy.

"What if I forget everything and fail!" Hannah cries.

"You'll be alright, you're not going to forget everything. I'm more worried about using the wrong chart," I worriedly chew on my lip looking over my notes on when to use what chart again.

"I wasn't even worried about that but now I am," Hannah cries leaning closer to me to look at my notes as well.

"Why are your notes so much better than mine!" She continues to stress.

"Hannah! Deep breaths," I grab her shoulders and force her to copy my breathing. Hannah will work herself up into an anxiety attack if she allows herself to only focus on the bad things.

Once her breathing has regulated, I put together a tea for her.

"Thanks."

***