1. Such a baby.

"I will pick you up next Sunday, alright?" my mother informs me, clapping her hands. Far too excited for me as she gets out of her white Corolla.

To be honest, I hate that she seems more enthusiastic about this than I am. It's irking, and she knows that.

With a loud sigh, I get out of the car—resisting the urge to bang the door—and follow her to the other side of the car.

Without even so much as a warning or time to take in my environment, someone shouts my name and I can tell who it is, even in my sleep.

"Luke, oh baby!" my Aunt Nima screams— so loud - throwing her arms around my neck.

Yeah, she is suffocating me. But of course, there is no way I can pull away, it's a crime to do that and by the way, I already boosted myself for this.

I'd be a fool to not have prepared for Aunt Nima's hugs. With a tad more hesitation, I wrap my hands around her wide body. My hands can't even connect behind her because she has this huge figure. But I'm not complaining, all I want is to get out of this as soon as possible.

"Hi auntie," I whisper, breathing in her strong perfume. God, I hope I don't have another asthmatic attack.

Oh, did I mention? I am one of those lads unfortunate enough to get this fucking illness and just like any other asthmatic weakling, I carry an inhaler with me.

Speaking of, I pull away and immediately reach for my pocket to feel for my inhaler. I carry it everywhere and anywhere—the bathroom included. It might sound dramatic at the moment, but you would rather not see me during an attack.

I won't overvalue its importance in my life because it comes right after my phone. The phone is the most important thing and just like the inhaler, it's on me every time, every second of the day.

"I missed you. Look at you, all grown now." she ruffles my dark hair—which I pay tremendous attention to every day to keep it brushed and neat.

I finally find the time to take her in; though huge, she did not drift so much from the features of my grandmother. Both my mother and Nima have the same dark hair, green eyes, and full lips, which I inherited.

Some people are stupid enough to say I resemble my mother far too much that I almost look like her "sister".

How can I be my mother's sister when I have a dick between my legs?

Talk of absurdism.

"I-I missed you too," I rumble, running my hand through my hair in an attempt to put it back in place. I am sort of an organized freak. I like everything around me in place, that way, I have easy access to everything.

It is enraging, but there is little I can do about it. I know Aunt Nima is a very hyper person, and it is impossible to stay organized around her.  She likes my hair more than she likes my eyes—she is always ruffling it.

"Well, we are going out. Jamie is inside, he will show you to your room and everything else," Nima says, hopping into the driver's seat.

I wait for whatever she said to finally process, then I mumble, "I can't share a room with Jamie."

Nima doesn't help but chuckle and stare at me with furrowed eyebrows. "Of course, honey, I know that."

I nod in both appreciation and understanding. So, she has reserved a room for me.

I have numerous reasons why I cannot share a room with Jamie, and if I am to make a list, it will last until the last chapter of my story.

I smirk and turn to Dora, my very own mother, although she was very excited about this earlier, the look in her green eyes now feigns nothing but worry. And I honestly want to jump into her arms and cry my guts out, but I do what I can do best right now.

I pretend to be strong. It's best if I keep up the charade for seven more days.

"I will be fine," I assure her and spread the fakest smile I can muster on my face. Of course, she knows it's fake because it doesn't reach my eyes, which are quite watery at the moment. Any slight mistake, any blink, the tears will be running down my cheeks.

God, I'm such a baby.

"Keep your inhaler with you all the time, alright? I will pick you up on Sunday. Just seven days and you're out of here," she says, her green hues, gazing into mine.

If we stare at each other any more than this, I will break.

Instead, I smile and nod, then watch as they move out of the driveway and vanish as the road narrows.

And I let those tears flip me into chaos.

With another deep sigh, I tighten the grip on my backpack up on my shoulder. I did not carry abundant things; just a few shirts and boxers, shorts, a toothbrush, my toothpaste, and slippers.

Holding back a groan, I sink my teeth into my dark bottom lip and make my way to the white front door. Just another suburban house like the others around this place, with a small white fence and a green yard.

I have been here a few times before, but I cannot get myself to get used to it. I don't like the suburbs, there's just something about the deafening quiet that doesn't sit right with me.

Perhaps I like it more in the city, where my mother and I live. But fuck it though, seven more days and I will be out of here.

Here goes nothing.

#

Thank you for reading. Please comment and let me know what you think about this.