16. Alone with you.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Axel doesn't waste much time asking.

I only roll my eyes. I am not in the mood to explain my hate for him. It's pointless, it's not like he will ever do anything about it.

"Listen, dude, the other day...it just happened. You weren't supposed to find us," he mumbles, still not looking at me. I can tell he's trying so hard to make this conversation casual. There's nothing casual about any of this.

"So you're saying it's okay that you screwed someone in my bed?" I ask. I am not certain how I am doing it, but it's happening. I'm keeping my voice steady, not angry, not shaky. Just steady. This is a power move, if he realizes I am not fazed, then maybe… I don't know what will happen, but this is good.

Axel shrugs. "I mean, you'd probably do the same thing if you were in my spot. And I guess I was high that day."

I bite the inside of my cheek. This is the part where I might break if I say anything. But then I just can't stay quiet.

After a long silence, I mumble, "Okay." And glue my eyes back to my phone.

Axel is unbelievable. How could I have done the same thing? I know how gross it is, so I would not have done it. And the fact that he even has a lame excuse about being high doesn't give him a pass from this.

He messed up. But he won't admit that. He won't apologize. Until I get an "I'm sorry" from him, fuck him.

"So…" he starts, I can see how he flicks his eyes at me for a second before looking back at the screen. "We cool?"

This time, I force out laughter and get to my feet. "See, Axel, that's the thing. We can't be cool just like that. You did something bad, and you need to apologize for it. You can't make me bury it because you did, it's rude." Yep. I just snapped.

But I am not sorry for it. It was bound to happen from the time I saw him at the door in the morning. The breaking point was probably waiting for the perfect time. The perfect moment to unleash.

I grab my phone and head for the stairs, staying here is pointless, it's even choking me. I can't bear to stay here anymore.

Axel does not seem to say anything—even if he wants to, I would rather not hear it.

"Where are you going?" he questions in the most dangerous voice I ever heard from him. It's possessive, and I want to fly out of my body. Butterflies or bats or eagles are playing catch in my tummy, and they won't stop.

"My room. Oh, you should try calling Jamie, he probably doesn't know you're here," I inform him even when my knees are impaired, buckling even. It's terrifying how he just did that.

"He's not coming," Axel mumbles. I am surprised, I stop on the third step, and look at him. What does he mean Jamie is not coming? This is his house. He has to come. Where else would he stay if not here?

"Why?"

"I asked him to run an errand for me. He won't be here until evening." Axel raises his eyes and looks at me. I can't believe I have goosebumps on my skin right now.

So all this was a calculated move. He knew Jamie would not be here, he probably knew that Aunt Nima would not be here either. That's why he came. So, we could only be the two of us, and he could torture me one last time before I left.

But I won't let him have all his way. I will shock him because I am so destroying his master plan. Why would he even want to be alone with me? It is fucking scary and he knows that.

I shrug, trying so hard to act like my heart is not throbbing in my chest. Like my knees are not weak. Like I won't lose my balance because my legs are buckling. Fuck.

"Well, have fun waiting around for him," I utter and plaster a humorous smile on my face, my green eyes looking straight into his dark ones. I don't even want to read what's in there—reading this has gotten me into enough trouble for a year.

I don't know if his brain is retarded or he just fails to register things as quickly as most of us. On my fifth step, he mumbles something. It's too low, I can't hear him, so I pretend not to even have heard anything at all. I keep walking. It's best if I pretend. I'm not in a better state myself.

"Luke-" he calls out. Louder this time. Even if I wanted to ignore it, I can't. His voice even echoes in the room. One second I freeze, another I recompose myself and stare at him. He is not seated anymore, standing there with his eyes on the floor, fists on his side—am I imagining this?

"I asked Jamie to run that errand for a reason. I wanted to be here. I wanted to be alone," he mumbles, and my heart stops beating. Axel is a savage, he looks into my eyes and continues, "Alone with you."

##