7. Day two.

Tuesday:

The morning is not as bad as it was yesterday, but it's still bad. I am not home yet, I am still stuck here and there's that same bird chirping behind the house, and it happens to be on the branch near my window.

I can't even get myself to focus.

I have been trying to solve the same quadratic equation for the last ten minutes, and all the answers I am coming up with are either incorrect or "no answer at all". It gets me wondering just how much damage can one bird do, and have I gone completely dumb that I now spend more than two minutes on simple equations?

When you talk of mathematics, you talk of me. I'm like the math genius in my grade and I always get straight A's no matter the case.

I guess I was born like that.

"For fuck's sake!" I grumble, throwing my head back and leaning on the hind legs of the wooden chair. I'm swinging and enjoying it, even when I can hear how it creaks as I keep swinging back and forth.

Maybe dying is better than failing to solve a stupid equation.

Perhaps the mind has so much power because as soon as I hear a knock on my door—I almost topple over and fall back—but my feet touch the floor in time to save me from my pathetic death.

That was close!

Laying my hand on my rapid-beating heart—an attempt to steady it, I glance at the door.

"Who is there?" I ask—hearing the shaky voice, I recognize it all too well. I bet the bird is laughing at me.

"Who is it?" I repeat when I don't get a response.

Is it Jamie playing another one of his scary pranks? Stupid boy.

I shake my head and make my way to the door, making sure to warn the bastard that I am not in the mood for games.

"Jamie, if it's you doing all this crap I swear to Go-" I pull the door open; only to be greeted by dark eyes, and I am immediately tongue-tied.

The heart I thought I steadied starts back up with another aggressively smash against my chest. This time, though, I resist the edge to fly a hand to my chest and grab it.

"What do you want?" These are the first words to come out of my mouth, even when I have not seen Axel since morning.

When I woke up, he wasn't home, and I could not ask about him because hell, I did not care. And it would sound weird to suddenly want to know the whereabouts of the person I dislike the most in this house. So, after breakfast, aunt Nima left, Jamie went back to the TV and I locked myself in my room to finish up my assignments.

When Mom picks me up on Sunday, I won't have enough time to finish all the summer work they gave us, so I might as well just do it here. And remember, it turned out to be a disaster because I have been stuck on question three for hours now.

"Rude much," Axel mumbles, furrowing his eyebrows.

I want to roll my eyes, but I remember Tigan's face warning me against it. He hates it when I roll my eyes at people, he always says it's rude and uncalled-for. But this right here is uncalled-for, so I guess the moment deserves an eye roll.

But I don't do it.

"Jamie is in the TV room, if he's not there, check the kitchen." I squint my eyes. "I doubt he is in his room."

No doubt, the kitchen and in front of the TV are Jamie's favorite places. He acts as though the summer holiday is not coming to an end, I mean, does he not have work or something to catch up on? Together with this bastard in front of me. Is he even in high school like the rest of us? Sure looks like a gang member or something.

I'm not judging but right now, he is dressed like an assassin—black shirt, black hoodie, black jeans, and thank God, he doesn't have his boots on.

"He is in the kitchen," Axel confirms my guess, and by the way, it's not just a guess, it is an educated guess. I know he is in one of the two said rooms.

Okay, so now that he knows where his buddy is, why the hell is he here, looking at me?

I look up at him to see if he can read my mind and answer my question—but I'm wrong. Only his dark eyes loom over me, surprisingly giving me a once-over, and he doesn't even care that I am glaring at him.

I cringe, thinking back at the khaki shorts I'm wearing—they expose my hairy thin legs—and the pure white, plain t-shirt. I feel embarrassed, and I wish I can just close the door in his face and return to my comfort zone.

No one—except the bird—would judge me in my room.

"Cool, so why are you here? What do you want?" The sooner we get this over with, the better.

Axel raises his dangerously dark eyes and looks at me. "I want you."

The hell?