17. Twins and Followers.

No matter how much I try to be this stone-hearted nerd, my heart melts when I hear Axel's words. Does he mean them?
Does he want to be alone…with me?

My heart somersaults a little as I bring my eyes to meet his. He is not looking down anymore—by the way, I liked that part. It's as though he was vulnerable for a moment there, and he let me see it.

That aside, I'm quite tongue-tied here. I don't know what to say. Do I even say anything?

But he saves me the trouble when he continues to speak, eyes glued to mine. "I need to say something."

I can tell just how much he is struggling to get those words out of his mouth.

I nod. My voice is untrustworthy at the moment.

"I am sorry. I know I fucked up. It was just so wrong of me to mess in your room like that. It's gross," he says, fast and briefly.

There, was it hard?

My lips stretch into a broad smile. "That wasn't so hard now, was it?" I ask, too happy for the moment. I can't believe I wanted exactly that to come out of his pretty lips.

Axel shakes his head and smirks, looking everywhere but at me—oh my god, Axel is blushing!

Wow!—just wow!

He looks fucking cute right now. I have never seen this side of him, and it's making me want to just kiss him so hard. But no.

He's straight. It'd be gross on his part.

"Anyway." I suck in a breath and point to my room. " I have to do something."

With that, I sprint to my room, running for dear life.
I'm not surprised that I just had the urge to kiss Axel, I'm only surprised that I still want to kiss him even after what he did to me.

So, was all that talk about 'how I could not stand him' all a lie?

To distract myself, I grab my backpack and start packing.

#

Thirty minutes later, someone is knocking on my door. I know it is none other than Axel. He's the only other person here.

"It's open," I say from where I am folding the last shirt. It's not much of a big deal if he comes in. Besides, he has been here once—twice actually. He already invaded all the privacy I hoped to reserve. Stripped it of me, and I forgave him.

"You going somewhere?" Axel asks, walking further into the room.

I nod. "Yes…"

"Where?" I can't believe this dude once said I asked too many questions, he's not any better.

"Home," I mumble and zip my bag gently. I can't risk it breaking now.

There's silence, I wonder if axel is still in the room. I turn to face him, there he is studying me without any words.

"Did you need something?" I break the silence.

He fidgets a little—is it just me, or this boy has grown from sarcastic and cocky to very anxious and sweet?

"I just did not think you'd leave this soon."

I nod. Does he want me to stay when he's using my bed for gross stuff?

"This place is not my type," I joke, but he does not laugh. I figure it wasn't even funny at all. I clear my throat and look back at him. "Sup?"

"Jamie will be here soon. I told him I was done talking to you," he explains, and I nod, tucking my hands in my pockets.

Then the silence comes again. I somehow hate it. I want him to either talk to me or leave.

"Well, are you done talking to me?"

"Not quite." He pulls out a deck of cards from his back pocket—did he have those all this while? I raise an eyebrow. "Mind playing cards with me when we wait for him?"

I am not sure, this is a good idea. I mean, I haven't played cards in a while—for some reason, I always think it's for gamblers, drug dealers and stuff like that. I think I have even forgotten how to play.

But I can't back away now, can I?

I give Axel a tight-lipped smile and nod.

He settles on the dark carpet on the floor, crossing his legs like he's about to start meditating. I watch, still standing, not even sure I must sit.

"Come here," he orders, and like I have been waiting for that order, I sit across from him—mimicking his position by crossing my legs.

"What are we playing?" I question, trying so fucking hard to act interested. This is the second time we have been in very proximity with Axel from the time I walked in on him. Remember? The toothpaste day? I probably wrote it in my diary or something.

"Have you ever played cards before?" He cocks an eyebrow.

"Been a while," I respond truthfully. There's no point in lying, even when I feel like my ego had been pricked.

"Okay, we will play Twins and Followers."

Yeah, I remember that one. The first card game I ever played. Easy.

I nod.

I watch as he shuffles the cards swiftly like it is something he'd done a couple of times. The hair on his forehead bounces a little as he moved.

I try not to smile. Finally, he lays the cards in front of me.

"To make this a little fun, whoever wins, does whatever he wants to the loser," Axel says.

I am surprised. And scared, but I nod anyway.

What's the worst that can happen?

#