xxxi. the nina project

Cassidy awoke to Eddie's frantic calls for Nancy, prompting her groggy ascent

Cassidy awoke to Eddie's frantic calls for Nancy, prompting her groggy ascent. Unaware of Max, Nancy, and Dustin's absence, she reached for the Intena, pulling it up. "What's going on, Eddie?" she inquired with a raspy morning voice. Eddie, puzzled, questioned, "Who is this? Where's Nancy?" Rolling her eyes, she asserted, "It's me, Cassidy Sinclair." He responded with an 'ohhh,' and she dryly affirmed, "Yeah," prompting Eddie's laughter. "Wait! Sinclair Twin! You're back from California?!" he exclaimed, eliciting a chuckle from Cassidy. "Something like that."

"Okay, can you do me a favor?" he asked. Cassidy blinked, still waking up. "Y— Yeah?" she replied, uncertain. "Can you please get me a six-pack—?" he asked bluntly. She huffed, turning off the comms. "Is that a yes?" he inquired, met with silence. Cassidy flopped onto the couch, drifting back to sleep. "Sinclair twin?! Hello!?" he yelled, muttering a frustrated "goddamn it" to himself.

As evening settled, the group unanimously decided to venture to the Creel House. Ascending the steps, they confronted the ominous structure. "Yeah, that's not creepy," Steve quipped, provoking an eye roll from Cassidy. Upon reaching the porch, Nancy and Steve collaborated in their efforts to pry the stubborn door open.

Amidst the creaking hinges, Cassidy voiced her skepticism, "I mean, what exactly are we supposed to be looking for in this shithole?" The air was thick with suspense as they braced themselves for the mysteries within the foreboding residence.

"We're not entirely sure," Nancy began, her tone laced with uncertainty. Cassidy joined in, a small shrug accompanying her words as she wearily rested her head on Theodore's shoulder. "Couldn't we sleep in until eleven? It's only nine, and I need my ten hours of sleep!" Cassidy whined, prompting Max to suppress a smile at her friend's goofiness.

Amidst the banter, a question arose. "Wait, so you believe this is important because Max saw it in Vecna's red soup mind world?" Robin inquired, seeking clarification on the significance of the Creel House within the enigmatic realm they found themselves entangled in.

"Basically."

"Great."

Dustin's voice carried a sense of urgency as he laid out the stakes, "Maybe it holds a clue to where Vecna is. Why he's back. Why he killed the Creels. And how to stop him before he comes back for Max," each word echoing with the weight of their mission. Theodore solemnly nodded in agreement, understanding the gravity of their quest.

Lucas, seeking reassurance, questioned, "We don't think he's in here, do we?" The group exchanged uncertain glances. Max responded plainly, "Guess we'll find out."

As the anticipation hung in the air, Steve and Nancy, with combined effort, managed to unpry the door. The wood blocking the entrance fell to the ground, unveiling a dark and foreboding passage into the heart of the Creel House.

As the leaves danced around them, the group involuntarily stepped back. Cassidy, unfortunately, became the victim of a leaf invasion, spitting and sputtering as she attempted to rid herself of the unwanted intruder. "Gross! I think a leaf flew into my mouth," she exclaimed, her hand seeking support on Max's shoulder while she vigorously tried to expel the leaf.