xiii.

thirteen beg
tw: cancer, depression, suicidal thoughts

nine years earlier(one year before the day that ruined it all)

nine years earlier
(one year before the day that ruined it all)

"Rowen Hendrix," I hissed.

"Alaska Cassidy. Nice to finally meet you," he said, a devilish smirk rising on his lips.

"As to you." I crossed my arms over my chest. "Good luck today," I said, but didn't mean it.

"You too." He ran his tongue along his bottom lip. "I like your dress."

I was wearing red, my favorite color. It made my feel bolder than I was - more confident.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks. Your tie looks amazing on you," I answered sarcastically. Somehow, he was matching me, wearing a deep red tie and a black and white suit. I barely knew him but he was already pissing me off.

He nodded at me and I turned away from him, but he grabbed my wrist, stopping me.

I ripped my hand out of his. "What do you want?"

"You go to my school, yeah? Westwood High?"

I froze in my tracks. "What? You go there?"

He nodded, a smile gracing his lips. "Yeah. I think I saw you in the halls once. Junior year?"

I narrowed my eyes at him.

"I've seen you," he tried to clarify. "Heard about you a couple times." He shrugged. "Anyway, good luck again." He winked. "You'll need it."

"You won't be saying that when I win," I answered, walking away from him again.

Twenty minutes later, we were all sitting in the auditorium. This prize was for the best actor in the age range 15-18, and I was confident it was me.

I leaned back in my seat, smug. It was so obvious I would win. No one else stood a chance.

"This year, almost five hundred applicants around the country ran for this year's Acting Award." The announcer smiled, her beautiful dark skin shining underneath the hot, bright spotlights. "And I'm proud to announce the honorable mentions, third, second, and grand prize."

Here it goes.

Each honorable mention was announced, and I felt myself get giddy in my chair. My heart pounded in my ears, my hands shook in anticipation.