1 | ORIGINALS

I HATE TO SEE YOUR TEARS, DARLING, BUT THAT MAY BE WHAT GETS YOU OUT OF THIS SITUATION.

[ season 2 — episode 8 ]

CHARLOTTE LANCASTER DIDN'T CONSIDER HERSELF PRO-VIOLENCE — though she did understand that vampires had to feed on humans to survive, so she found it in herself to look the other way. The other exception to violence that Lottie had no problem making was watching her friends plot the murder of Katherine Pierce.

So, no one heard a single complaint from Lottie as they all convened at the Salvatore Boarding house to create a plan. Though the nineteen-year-old wouldn't be taking part in it — she was only human, after all, with nothing special about her. Her only responsibility for the night was to throw on a pretty dress and mask and parade around as the surviving member of the Lancaster family that the town of Mystic Falls knew.

She wasn't thrilled about showing up on the arm of Damon Salvatore, posing as his date for the night. Though he was as much of a gentleman as Damon could stand to be, and they got along well given that she was older than everyone else involved in the supernatural mess, it wasn't his hand that she wanted leading her out of the car and to the wonderfully decorated mansion.

Getting ready had been simple. She didn't have anything to be nervous about — Lottie was confident that this plan would work now that Katherine didn't have Mason Lockwood helping her out. Lottie mourned the needless death of Tyler's uncle whom she grew up with, but at the end of the day, he chose Katherine and knew the consequences.

It was easy to not think about how Damon ripped his heart from his chest with Finn Mikaelson's lips whispering sweet compliments as she got ready for the night. Lottie shyly met his gaze through the vanity mirror in her bedroom. She slipped a golden mask over her eyes for the masquerade before turning to face the oldest Original — Kol was watching her as well from across the room, leaning casually against the wall as he practically leered.

"Do I look alright?" Lottie asked, doing a little twirl. The short, white skirt with golden flowers embroidered on the material fanned out as she did.

"Like an angel," Finn told her with a smile.

"Like our angel," Kol spoke up before coming closer. "Don't forget, Darling, who you belong to if that oaf dares to put a hand on you tonight."

It was hard for him, being so possessive over a girl he couldn't even touch. It made the youngest brother's chest ache.

"Damon's not an oaf, Kol," she said, shaking her head. "And you know he's far too wrapped up in Elena's beauty to think of me. No need to be jealous."

"There is every need," he grumbled.

"He'll be too busy with Katherine tonight, anyway. You two can keep me company," Lottie declared, looking between the brothers.

"I can't wait for the tantrum that our brother will inevitably throw once he realizes he was not the one to kill Katerina after all," Kol said with a smirk.