11 | DISTRACTING

[ okay these are all the chapters that were on ao3 and i'm starting a new one today ]

☽︎

ARE YOU IN LOVE? LIKE, LOVE LOVE? I KNOW THEY'RE VILLAINS, BUT WE NEED GIRL TALK NOW!

[ 3.14 ]

WARMTH WAS ENCASING LOTTIE when she woke the next morning. A kind of familiar warmth that she had never associated with Rebekah — nor could the firm chest she had her head resting on belong to her.

"Beks?" Lottie questioned without actually peeling her eyes open. As she spoke, she ran a hand along the chest and up to strong shoulders.

"Not quite," the voice of Elijah said. "Need I be jealous you're calling out my sister's name?"

Lottie looked up at him sleepily, seeing his handsome face with an amused smile on his lips as he propped up against the headboard. She tilted her head in confusion, which Elijah found incredibly adorable, before looking around the bedroom, which wasn't the last place she'd been awake.

"This isn't Rebekah's room," she mumbled, sitting up a little bit.

"No, my sister came to me at three. She was greatly annoyed and made some preposterous claims about you kicking horribly in your sleep," Elijah informed her. "However, I found you to be quite cuddly."

Lottie's cheeks heated up. She hadn't even woken up in the process of being moved. Though Elijah had no complaints about holding her for the rest of the night.

"I'm sorry for bothering you in the night," she said, shifting to sit against the headboard, putting space between them. "And for being cuddly."

Elijah didn't approve of the distance, so he effortlessly pulled her back against him. "Don't apologize," he said while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "It was the best sleep I've had in a thousand years."

Lottie let out a quiet noise of contentment as his finger traced a line down her neck, sending a pleasing tingle down her spine. He stopped at the thin strap of the tank top she slept in, simply tracing along the fabric while staring down at her. She suddenly felt a bit hot despite only having the top sheet covering her legs — it was more to do with Elijah's burning gaze than the temperature of the house.

"Is, um, is anyone else up? What time is it?" Lottie asked, clearing her throat a little.

"Nearly nine," he informed her. "I didn't want to wake you. Between dealing with my family and helping Caroline, you had a long day yesterday."

"I appreciate that, but I've kept you from starting your day," she said with a small pout. Though she got a bit distracted when she actually studied Elijah's appearance.