Chapter one:The vanishing of Will Byers

EDITED

Two kids walk up to a building. The kids had shaved heads, dirt on their faces, and they wore hospital gowns.

A man walks out of the building wearing an apron and carrying what looks like a trash bag.

The two kids look at each other and silently decide to go inside.

One of the kids opens the door and carefully walks in; the other girl is not far behind, looking around. The song She Has Funny Cars by Jefferson Airplane plays quietly.

The taller one walks up to a door, listening in on the conversation happening.

"All right, and one more," one of the men says.

"Hey, Ben, what do you think about that, uh..."

"Hey, I don't know. I don't know."

"I don't know, 37 game points per average."

Thirty-seven now, but..."

"Mr.Basket."

Uninterested in the conversation, the two kids sneak past the men into the kitchen.

They spot some fries. The taller one looks around to see if anyone can see them. When they finally decide it's safe, They grab a fry and give it to the other one before grabbing one for themselves.

As they're eating, the man spots them. "Hey!" He yells, making them both flinch and look up.

"Come here!" The man says it loudly. The kids make a run for it.

Having almost reached the door, the short one gets caught.

"You think you can run from me, boy?" The man yells, causing the taller one to turn, only to see that she had been caught.

A man comes behind the taller one, grabbing them.

The man looks at both kids and sees fear in their eyes. Getting caught off guard, he says, "What in the hell?"

✪ ✪ ✪

"Geez," the young kid hears while they bite into a burger; this has been the only food they've eaten in days. And the first pair of clean clothes were soft on their skin.

"Your parents forget to feed you." He asked, making the kids look up at him. The shorter one quickly got back to eating, with the other following shortly after.

"Is that why you ran away?" Neither of the kids acknowledges him and continue eating.

"They, uh..." He pauses. "They hurt you?" Making the kids continue to eat without a word from either of them.

The man continues making assumptions. "You went to the hospital, you got scared, you ran off, and you two rounded up here, is that it?"

Finally, they both look at him and pause. "Alright," the man said, taking the burger from both of them and making them glare at him.

He speaks again: "I'll give these back, alright? And you can have as much as you guys want. All right? Maybe even some ice cream." The two kids look at him without changing expressions.

"But you've got to answer a few of my questions first, all right?" He looks at the shorter one, who seems convinced. Then, over at the taller one that's still glaring at him, he said, "We got a deal?"

The two kids look at each other and back at him.

"All right, let's start with the easy stuff. All right? My name is Benny. Benny Hammond." He holds out his hand. "See? like this. Here." The man grabs the taller kids arms, seeing as they were in front of him, and makes them shake hands. "I got you. Don't worry. It's okay. Nice to meet you, yeah. And you are?" They stay silent, and he sighs, moving his focus to the tattoo on their arm that shows 004. They moved their arms quickly.