Chapter 3

Tina insists that Rahul is deep down a literature lover like me. Yeah right, as if I'd ever have anything in common with him. But the truth of the matter is that there is, unfortunately, a lot that I have in common with Rahul. Here's a list from the top of my head:

1. We both dislike failing (pretty self-explanatory).
2. We both constantly wish upon each other's downfall (at least I do but his actions speak for his thoughts).
3. We both dislike olives (something I found out at the pizza party last year).
4. He loves art almost as much as me (or maybe a bit more, though I would never admit to this).
5. He may potentially like reading as well (I've caught him in the same book aisle as me many times, he always leaves as if he'd accidentally stumbled there).

But the list of things we don't have in common is thankfully a lot bigger than this. Thank god.
For one, he really likes sport, like really enjoys it, who does willingly enjoy PE? Only psychopaths like him. Albeit, I do enjoy badminton, it is my favourite sport and the only time I enjoy PE, sadly we're not currently playing badminton and sadly PE is also my next lesson.

I jog out to the gym with Tina after we've changed into our PE uniform. The coach is blowing on his whistle continuously to get everyone's attention, I watch as the last few students file out of the changing rooms and the other students who were playing around also gather around the coach in a neat semi-arc.
"As you guys know we started our soccer unit last semester, just before the holidays, we'll be picking right up from there and continue with it" coach Liam addresses us, giving us a once over, ensuring we're all in appropriate uniform. "Denis, get out" coach yells as he points his thumb to the gym exit, "wear gym shoes next time" I flinch as Denis scuttles out. "Alrighty, get into position for warm-up" he concludes, with one final blow of his whistle.

"I am so glad I always pack my gym gear for PE" Tina whispers in my ear as we run laps around the gym with the rest of the students.

"Me too, I'd hate to be on the receiving end of coach's loud warnings" I whisper back.

"Sharma, Ahuja! Less talking, more running!" coach instructs.

We instinctively straighten our backs and run faster as we quieten down.
After about 15 minutes of running laps, coach finally blows three sharp rounds of whistles, indicating us to stop. We all jog to coach and gather around him. He has a bundle of sashes on a ring in his hand. He passes the sashes out to half the class. And as luck would have it, I end up getting a sash while Tina doesn't, if that isn't bad enough, he also doesn't get a sash. So now here I am, on the opposing team of Rahul Khanna and I have no intention of losing to him, no matter my strong dislike for sports.

I stretch my legs one final time before I get ready for the game. I had tried my hand at soccer when we'd first moved to New York 8 years ago, when I was 10. I had liked it a reasonable amount until I'd found I wasn't as passionate about it as some of the other girls who wanted to make it their career. So that was it for me and soccer, I moved to music class instead, however, this did mean that I knew the basics of the sport, I hope that would be more than enough for today.

Tina is standing next to me, telling me about the dinner her parents forced her to attend last week with some family friends when coach blows the whistle, indicating us to split into teams on the opposite sides of the gym. Coach calls for a player from each team to do the kickoff. I am not surprised to find that Jai from my team, and Rahul from the opposing team make their way to the centre. They're both excellent players so naturally assume the position of team captain in every team sport we play in PE. Coach always places them in different teams due to this very reason. They're also both close friends who bicker from time to time due to their competitive nature. I can see them both saying something to each other, Rahul smirks at Jai as Jai laughs back in response.