Chapter 37

Ma and Pammi aunty were both so happy when Zain and I had first gotten together.

"Oh puttar, you've made me so happy" Pammi aunty beamed as she enclosed me in a hug.

Ma had smiled and looked at us endearingly, yet she had given me a knowing look as if wondering about something.

I had disregarded it then as mere precaution or concern but now as she sits across from me, I cannot help but fidget with the hem of the top I'm wearing.

"Anjali..." she begins, she sighs and caresses her forehead, "I am happy, I really am" she smiles at me reassuringly, "It's just that" she takes my hand in hers, gently running her thumb over the round cut diamond, "Are you happy?"

I laugh nervously, "Of course ma, I mean" I flex my hand out, the diamond on my ring finger sparkles as it catches a stream of sunlight pouring in from a gap between the curtains, "I must be" I look up at her.

She just looks at me, I continue, "Zain loves me, a lot, and I mean-"

"And do you?" she questions.

"Do I what?" I ask.

"Love Zain?" she asks.

"I-" I hesitate unexpectedly, "Zain is good for me" I reply.

"Yes, but do you love him?" she repeats.

I pause for a second, her gaze doesn't waver, "I must" I finally reply.

"Well then" she breathes, "If you love him, then know that I truly wish the best for you both, you're both dear to me" she pats my hand as she stands up to leave.

I do not fall asleep easily that night, ma has left me with a lot to think about.

— — — — — — — —

When I wake up in the morning, there's a small velvet box sitting right outside my bedroom door as I open it.

I pick up the box confused, I've barely opened the box when Tina jumps in front of me, almost tackling me down in a bear hug.

Robbie clutches the back of her shirt just before the both of us tumble to the ground, "Careful" he says as he stabilises Tina.

"Oh yes yes" she smiles at him before tightening her grip around me before letting go of me.

"Ahh Tina" I clutch my head, "I just woke up" I laugh.

She shrugs off my words, "You're engaged!" she yells excited.

"Come on, don't tell me you came all the way here just because of that" I roll my eyes as I drag her inside my room and onto the loveseat, Robbie follows behind her.

"Well, it was a little surprising" he gives me a look.

"Ahh well, it kind of happened all of a sudden" I reply, not meeting his eye, ever since I'd told Tina and Robbie that Zain and I were going out, Robbie had been a little sceptical about the relationship despite him supporting us.

"Why, can't she get married to someone who so clearly loves her?" Tina looks at Robbie.

Robbie lifts his hands up in surrender, "No, I was simply surprised is all" he replies.

"Well, some men aren't afraid to commit" Tina looks at him pointedly.

I sigh, Tina and Robbie had been a bit split on the matter of me dating Zain, whereas Robbie was a bit wary, Tina couldn't be happier, "I'm glad you gave him a chance, I've always liked Zain and suspected he had a little something for you" she had winked and elbowed me. "A lot better than that jerk I'm certain" she had announced when I'd told her the news of me dating Zain.