Chapter 19

I turn around quickly, shocked, afraid that if I didn't see his face right away, his voice would fade away.

Over the past three years, I sometimes almost believed that Rahul was someone I'd made up in my mind, a distinct memory of a person.

But he is standing right there, in front of me.

Staring at me amusingly.

I take in everything about him instantly.

The way he seemed to tower over me, he'd gotten even taller since I'd last seen him.

His jaw more defined, his features seemed a lot more striking, his cheekbones higher.

The same dark, thick hair clouding his eyes, he runs his hand through his hair just like he used to back then as he notices me staring at him.

"I know I'm very attractive but there's no need to ogle me Sharma" he smirks.

My heart does a stupid leap.

Sharma. He called me by my last name like he used to.

I grin at him, "You wish Khanna."

He raises an eyebrow at me but smiles, it feels nice to see him again.

— — — — — —

Tina believes it's time for her to play matchmaker.

"I saw the way you looked at him" she clicks her tongue.

"Yes, just like I looked at you" I say, unpacking my clothes as I hang them in the closet of the room Tina assigned me.

She's sitting cross legged on the bed, insisting that Rahul and I aren't just friends.

I sigh, "You're right, Rahul and I aren't friends."

Her eyes light up, "I knew it" she exclaims, pumping her fist in the air.

I continue, "We're just people who tolerate each other."

Tina instantly jumps up, "Lies" I see the way he looks at you.

"Like he stares at every girl, I think you're forgetting he's a flirt" I retort.

"No, no it's different, the way he looks at you is unlike how he looks at everyone else" she states, walking over and picking up a saree to hang up on the hanger.

"Must be the look of hatred then" I offer, "We both know the man loathed my guts back in high school."

Tina shakes her head, "No, it's different, I can't pinpoint what exactly but it's definitely not a look of hatred."

"You're just overthinking this Tina, the man is very cocky, he's just glad he has someone to torment again" I roll my eyes, hanging another saree in the closet."

Tina shakes her head sadly, "It's been ages you know, since I saw him smile like that, after the-" she hesitates slightly, I already know what she wants to say, I stiffen but gesture for her to continue, she nods hesitantly before continuing, "after the party, he stopped coming to school as much, it started with him coming a few days a week to not showing up at all. I finally saw him again during exams, he looked so skinny, I know how worried Robby was for Rahul."

I look at her in shock, "I-I, didn't know, did you find out why?" I whisper.

Tina shakes her head again, "He never said anything but deep down we suspected that he blamed himself for what happened to you with Ja- that jerk..."

He knew. He'd found out.

"D-did you tell him?" I ask, taking a seat on the corner of the bed.

Tina follows suit and sits down next to me, "No, Zara did."