The Painting

if it wasn't obvious before I'm OBSESSED with all of Will's painting scenes. so here's another story about it for y'all

Mike's POV:

I was packing up and re-reading some of the letters El had sent me. When we broke up last time in Hawkins we never got back together, but we are still good friends. I had asked her what the style in California was so i didn't look stupid when i showed up, but she really didn't elaborate in her letter. So I just put on something beachy and went with it. I kept reading the note. She said Will had been working on a painting for a girl he likes. 

I'm not one to point fingers but i didn't think Will even liked girls. But its California, i'm sure there's a lot of chicks down there. I shoved the last of my clothes in my bag and walked into the kitchen. Mom had been a mess trying to grab everything she needed just for the ride to the airport. 

"Ok, Mike, you sure you have everything? Clothes, underwear, socks, shoes, all of it?" She huffed, out of breath. 

"Yes mom, i double checked. Can we go now, i'm gonna be late for my flight." i say tapping my watch. 

"Ok, Ted, i'm taking Mike to the airport." she yelled to dad sitting on the couch. 

"Have fun, don't make me a grandpa" He said, mumbling the last part. i stuck my tongue out in disgust. Apparently hadn't got the message that El and I weren't a thing any more. 

"Dad, gross, we broke up like a year ago" I say, walking out to the car, not waiting to hear his response. 

I get in the car and Mom drives away. 

About an hour later we arrive at the airport and say our good-byes. Of course she had to ask me if i had everything, and when i rolled my eyes, i think she got the hint. I was going through all the safety precautions that airports make you go through and before i knew it i was on the airplane. 

-time skip after plane ride- 

I dozed off some time during the ride, when i woke i had drool running down the side of my face. I wiped it off and then apologized to the old lady next to me (Just in case i was snoring or sleep talking) Then i got off the plane. I looked around for a bit, not seeing anyone familiar. but then i saw 3 faces i had definitely seen before, they were sitting next to a guy with really long hair. This must be the guy that El was talking about in her letter, with hair longer than hers.

I then saw Jonathan, who looked rough, and then Will. His expression mirrored a dog when its owner got back from work. He had something rolled up in his hand. I hugged El first, and then complimented her on her hair. It was a lot longer than the last time i saw it. 

Then i went to hug Will, but there was something awkward about it. i quickly just patted him on the shoulder. "What's that" I asked him, pointing at the piece of paper in his hand. 

"Oh it's nothing, just a painting i've been working on" He says. Why would he bring the painting to the airport if it's for the girl he likes?

"Cool" I say. I want to see it but i don't ask. i'm sure we will have time to look at it at the house. 

"Uh, Mike this is Argyle." Jonathan says, introducing me to his friend. I can tell his is the one who has been 'smoking funny plants' with Jonathan. He hugs me then takes a shit on my shirt, saying how it's not real but he can hook me up with a real one. 

After that extremely awkward interaction we leave and get into a...pizza van?

Oh well, the ride was pretty short. We spend time catching up on things. It's mainly just me and El. She talks about her new boyfriend, which i was shocked to hear about, but nonetheless was happy for her. I didn't want to tell them that i'm bisexual just yet. I wanted to, just not now, its a lot to put on someone, especially when you just saw them for the first time in a year.