Kingdoms Pt 4 (The Downfall)

Mike stared at the walls that divided him from freedom and prison. They looked down on him, taunting him like that was the last time he'd ever see beyond them. When the wizard gave him his warning, he waited for Will. When he arrived Mike explained that his mother and father had come over with a terrible disease, he did not want to spread it to him. He wanted to kiss him goodbye, Mike knew it could be their last, but he couldn't, he had to stick with his story. He told him he loved him and started his walk back to Hawkins where he stood now. 

He had his color, as the wizard told him he would. He didn't feel the horrible feeling when he stood on the gray grass return. He didn't feel lifeless. He just wished everyone in his kingdom could feel it. It really was an uplifting feeling, and he thought everyone that lived in these walls deserved to feel it. Maybe they would one day. 

If Mike could know that his people will see the sun at the end of everything, that they will soon see the true beauty the world has to offer, then he had no fear for what was about to happen. He walked through the walls, prideful all the way to the courtyard. At first the guards tried to attack him, saw him as an outsider, someone from Lenora maybe. "It's me, you idiots, your prince." He said to them when they came at him with swords. They stopped, maybe apologized but he couldn't hear it. In fact he couldn't hear anything but the ringing in his ears, the heartbeat in his throat, his footsteps echo through his head. 

"Mike?" A voice said. Dustin. 

"Mike, what's going on?" Lucas asked, they followed him through the courtyard until he reached the castle. 

Mike stopped, "I have to face my father sooner or later." 

"Mike, you can wait, you can think about what you need to say." Lucas suggested.

"No, Lucas, I can't. Don't worry, No one will know you two ever left." Mike said, already turned around and walking to the throne room. He had gotten used to the frightened looks on the guard's faces when he walked by, most of them grabbing their swords before seeing who he was. Mike walked by them, up the staircase and stopped at the doors of the throne room. He couldn't deny it, no matter how much he really wanted to reject it, he was insanely nervous. Who knew what his father would do? Mike had seen him be ruthless for a lot less than what Mike had done. He took a deep breath, counted to three and walked in, loudly pushing open the doors so they hit the walls behind them. His footsteps echoed through the room. He saw that his father was not on his throne, but looking outside. His pale body lit up with every strike of lightning. He heard the doors and turned harshly. 

"Michael, good god why must y-" The King's words were cut, his nostrils flared as he looked at his son. "Explain yourself." He said, looking anywhere in the room but at Michaels eyes. The disappointment he so openly displayed on his face really cut Mike, but he kept his composure. 

"I've been leaving the kingdom, Dad." Michael said, his voice was a mere whisper.

"You know that is my number one rule, Michael, you could have been killed!" The King said angrily. 

"You can't just tell me not to go out there and expect me to listen to you! It makes people curious when you do!" Mike yelled.

"Don't expect you to listen, I expect you to obey. I don't have to give reason every time I want something done, I'll have my reasons!"   The King stood closer to Mike, staring into his eyes. 

"I know why you don't want me to go out there, it's because you're scared!" Michael said. 

"Of losing my only son, any father would be! It's not safe-" 

"And yet I've been leaving for over 2 months and I've never came back with a scratch on me." Mike said. "You know what's really out there don't you? You've been, I know you have."