Time travel 2

As Will looked at the people around him, head hurting and brain foggy he tried to remember everything that had just happened. Why had no one seemed to care that he was injured or that he was on the ground even? Almost like he ceased to exist ever. The pain had been real but everyone was distracted, that was it. 

The air smelled slightly sour and of ash, a person holding a white stick to their mouth and blowing out a cloud of smoke. Why were they lighting their lungs on fire? Will wondered. He picked himself up and dusted off his pants, becoming aware that his attire was not blending in with anyone around him, yet no one gave him a second look. Why didn't they care? Was there really that many outlandish people in the future? 

The sun made beads of sweat gather on his forehead, he brushed his unkempt hair out of his eyes, walking up to a nearby woman, "Excuse me, Lady-" but he could not finish his sentence before the woman walked away from him, muttering something like, "freak" under her breath. Will went up to a man who was talking to no one, he had a piece of metal in his ear that he pressed two fingers against, "Hello-" Will began, the man only gave Will an angry look before walking away. 

He had tried to greet a lot of people, but they all gave him the same dull reaction, Will had almost gotten offended. When did others stop listening? They all seemed to be distracted anyways. The only one that was looking around was a very fat man with black clothes on head to toe. He had some sort of curly wire running from his back pocket to his chest. He had a hand tucked under the collar of his shirt and looked a little smug when Will walked up to him. 

It was a lengthy process of trying to come up with a reason he was without parents. But the man decided to take Will to the 'police station'. He sat there for a very long time, looking at all of the gadgets, toying with a massive jug of water that balanced on top of a white piece of plastic. He watched many people take paper cups and flip a lever, then drink the water. It was like they had found easy ways to do what Will had done his whole life. He was reminded of sitting next to Mike's side during long boring treaty agreements, filling his chalice when needed. Now they could do it in the blink of an eye. The floor below him was made out of very shiny wood, the gleam reminded him of the way the King's armour would shine after it had just been polished. 

A very slim man who wore a suit walked over to Will and shook his hand. He explained how there were no records on Will at all, it was like he had never existed. No 'birth certificate', no 'social security', nothing. Will pretended to be just as amazed as the man. 

"We do, however, have a house that could potentially take you." Said the man. "It would be like a foster system, they're currently housing two other children. would you be okay with that?" The man asked. Will nodded eagerly, "And this is all temporary, of course. If you want to find a different home down the road, we can do that for you." Will nodded again. 

The house was right on the street, they had to climb a lot of stairs to reach the 'penthouse'. Inside, a fat woman who was in a purple dress greeted Will with a smile and a hug. He suffocated in her chest until she finally let go. "I'll take you to your room." She said after a small discussion with the man. The place was amazing, he could see the electronic lights everywhere from across the road, inside were very modern decorations and a practical couch. She took him down halls that were more confusing than the castle's until she came to a stop, knocking on a wide door. 

"Lucas, honey, can I come in?" She called, a muffled response came from the other side and she pushed her way in. "Lucas this is your new roommate, Will." They shook hands. "Dustin is just down the hall, but I don't want to overwhelm you." She said. 

Will had learned a few things in his first night. The first one being that Lucas was very nice, and the woman was a successful actress who was gone a lot, according to Lucas. The second day breakfast was made for them. But since Will was so well accustomed to eating like a bird, he did not eat much. His plate was still full when he left.