Chapter 24: Curses

Say.. that countdown's lookin' a little low, huh? Wonder what that means...

(Also, shoutout to @RainyVibes_ for the help with beta reading, you're amazing <3. We were originally going to do a collab on this chapter, but there were some complications that made it difficult.)

══════•°•❖•°•══════

"–Well, you're here bright and early," Nightmare stated, earning a sudden squeal of surprise out of you. Your heart rate elevated and your body curled in defensively. Upon the realisation that it was only Nightmare, you settled yourself. He chuckled to himself.

From what you could tell Nightmare was returning some of the books he borrowed, placing them back on a nearby set of shelves with the help of his slimy appendages. Once he was done returning the books, he made his way toward the table you sat at.

You preferred this table over the others, far more secluded. This specific spot was the perfect place to sit down and enjoy a good book, the afternoon light shedding in the exact right spot for you to read. It is quite tranquil.

"Enjoying yourself?" Nightmare asked, gesturing to the book you were reading before turning to a nearby bookshelf. You, unprepared for conversation, stuttered out your response.

"Ah- yes, It is a personal favourite of mine." Nightmare nodded as you dog-eared the page before closing the book. You gently held the book close to your chest as you rose to Nightmare's level.

"It must be good if you were here reading all night." Nightmare huffed out a laugh. Choosing a book and skimming through a few pages, Nightmare seated himself just opposite you.

You picked up on Nightmare's choice of words and redirected your attention to the large nearby window. Despite its closed drapes, strong beams of light seeped through the gaps and lit up the surrounding shelves.

Ah, it seems you did read through the night.

"I hadn't noticed," you stated, "I came here to occupy myself whilst Error calmed down."

Nightmare's interest was piqued, drawings his eyes from the first few pages of the book up to meet yours.

"What happened if you don't mind me asking?" Nightmare asked, setting the newly chosen book aside while he gave you his full attention.

"I don't... I don't know much about Error, but I think he had an- episode... At first, he was being his usual grumpy self, but then his glitches started to worsen. Out of worry, I attempted to help him, but it seems my attempts only triggered him further." You explained, nervously twiddling and twisting your fingers.

"Then his eyes went black and red, fully taken over by his glitches." Nightmare listened pensively, humming in acknowledgement.

"Haphephobia," Nightmare said abruptly.

"Error suffers from Haphephobia and Pixlexia, and from what it sounds like, Error crashed. It happens more often than you'd think, but believe me, it's normal for him. Sometimes when he gets too overstimulated he needs time to reboot and calm down." Nightmare elaborated. You weren't too sure what either of the things Nightmare named meant, but thinking back on your last interaction with Error you began to put two and two together.

"D-D-DONT TOUCH-CH ME-E." Error's voice echoed clearly in your mind, he must have an issue with physical touch.

"I see...I'll be sure to keep that in mind, thank you." You replied with a smile. Shortly afterwards, the conversation ended, leaving the two of you in peaceful silence. Judging from the morning light, you made a guess that Killer would start preparing breakfast soon.