Chapter 32: The Light Approaching

Sitting in the absolute silence of your basement was not doing well for you. Currently, you sat behind a large gathering of boxes and old furniture covered in dusty white sheets. You'd been trying so hard not to think of the upcoming confrontation, but it was unbelievably difficult to ignore.

Your mind was reeling with possibilities, but not the ones you were expecting. Instead of focussing on Dust's reaction to the situation, you were stuck stressing on the actual banishing itself.

In order to trap Papyrus' spirit in the ring of salt, you would have to hold him in place. As you help him, Killer would trap the two of you while Horror held Dust back. It was the only way to safely and securely trap Papyrus.

Unfortunately, this meant that you would be placed in an extremely dangerous situation. You weren't a negative spirit so you weren't as vulnerable to the banishing as Papyrus was, but that wasn't helping you calm down in the slightest.

You spent so much time thinking of the possibility of self-erasure that it felt silly to be scared now. Perhaps it was lack of experience that frightened you, but you were beginning to have second thoughts.

You wanted to help Dust with everything you had, but were you willing enough to give up your entire being? Part of you hoped that the skeletons would hurry up, that way you wouldn't have the time to back out.

A few minutes of twiddling your thumbs later, Killer and Horror appeared. They both came early to prepare the equipment for when Dust would arrive with snacks a few moments later.

Their expressions reflected all the emotions you'd been feeling over these past few days of planning and preparing. It was honestly hard to look at.

You silently directed them to the box of equipment that Killer would need to use, as well as the tome. With as minimal communication as possible, Killer began setting the table with the required incense, lighter, and small ceramic bowl where ingredients would be burnt.

After everything was set in place the lights were switched off. Fortunately, the globe was operated with a string in the centre of the room, making it easier to catch both Papyrus and Dust off guard through the veil of darkness.

You, Horror, and Killer waited in your designated positions in complete silence. Your heart was racing so fast and so hard that you could feel your entire body pulse in anticipation. Your blood ran cold and your hands were clammy, making you uncomfortable during the last few minutes of waiting.

Dust's echoing footsteps grew louder as he approached the basement door along with the distant sound of crinkling wrappers. When his shoes hit the stone stairs, his steps became noticeably quieter before coming to a complete halt.

Through the darkness, you caught sight of Papyrus's red scarf wafting through the air. Before Dust had the chance to react to the lack of light, you pounced like a lion on its prey.

With each of his red gloves hands now in your tight grasp, you locked eyes with his. Shock. Confusion. Fear. His expression read many things.

"What the– Paps?" Dust commented, confused by the sudden movement through the darkness. When the lights then flickered on, a low yellow glow lit up the room significantly, illuminating the scene.

"Y/N!? What are you–?" Dust began, quickly being cut off by Horror grabbing his soul using something he called "blue magic". You had no idea what he was talking about with souls and such, but he promised to show you another time.

You only caught a glimpse, but an upside-down blue heart that glowed from underneath Dust's casual white t-shirt before sending him backward against the wall behind him. Horror didn't use much force, but judging from Dust's uncomfortable groan, it sounded painful.