Chapter 27: The Aftermath

A slow gentle creak echoed from behind you, drowning out the noise of crickets. Eventually, the back door clicked shut, followed by the sound of soft footsteps. They stopped not far behind you.

"Hey..." A cautious voice whispered out. He may have only spoken a single word, but his accent was undeniable.

You made no movement or indication that you were listening, and you most certainly were not listening to any nonsense Horror might say.

"I-..." He stuttered, "I'm sorry..."

"Psh-" You scoffed, shifting your head further away from him. He must've had some nerve apologising at a time like this. Did he seriously think it would change anything now? Was he stupid?

You kept your back to him. You crossed your arms around your stomach like it would somehow settle the sickness you felt, recounting their previous story.

The more you focused on the anger you felt toward all the skeletons, the more you would think about those poor monsters...

After centuries of being contained, they were finally released. Taking in a deep breath of the night's chilly air.

Feeling the soft gentle breeze.

Seeing the stars...

And then it all stopped. In an attempt to protect their kind and defend themselves, they were killed. Killed by the very skeletons you were LIVING with!

The skeletons you laughed with. The skeletons you were friends with...

Part of you knew deep down that something like this would happen eventually, nothing good lasts forever. You just didn't expect it to happen in such a gruesome way, and so soon...

Not that you cared anymore. You didn't want to go back to how things were, blindly trusting murderers.

You wanted them gone, to pack their shit this very instant and NEVER come back. But you knew they wouldn't. They wouldn't leave unless they wanted to.

And for the love of god- you had half a mind to barge back inside right now and tell Nightmare what's what. Tell him that he needed to get his ass out of your home, along with his murderous crew!

You imagined the conversation perfectly in your mind, knowing exactly what to say word-for-word. This was it, you were finally going to stand your ground!

Eyeing the exact wall to fly through to reach the living room, you launched yourself forward. Although, you didn't make it far before you were pulled backward.

It was like you were tied to something, but that was impossible! How could- could... When you spun back around, you saw Horror gripping your wrist tightly with the sleeve of his hoodie.

That damn jumper.

You let out an irritated growl, pulling against his tight grasp. Damn, he was strong...

"Look, I don' expect ya ta talk, but would'ya please listen?" Horror pleaded.

Your face twisted into one that of disgust and loathing. How dare he touch you with those blood-soaked hands of his?! He may have not pulled the trigger, but his involvement was enough to convince you that he was just as horrible as Dust.

"I'll take that as a yes." Horror grumbled through the silence before clearing his throat. The more you tried to pull and tug from his grasp, the tighter he held on.

"Release me!!" You squealed, relentlessly clawing at his hands, attempting to tear them off. You were unsuccessful. "I don't want to hear any of your excuses!"