Chapter 35: Departure and Arrival

The day you had worried about for years had finally come, your grandmother's funeral. Her death was expected given her old age, but that only made it all the more saddening. You knew it was going to happen soon, but it still left you with this empty feeling nonetheless.

You and your grandmother were close, especially when you were much younger. She would help raise you alongside your mother when your father was off on business.

She always told you stories about your father when he was a young boy and was learning magic for the first time. All of the mistakes he would make, the several fires he accidentally caused, and his first few jobs when he took hold of the family business.

She was so proud of him and his work...

That was exactly why you were so excited for the day when you'd be the one to take over the family business, but she left this world too early...

Knowing that you would never be able to prove to your grandmother what a great mage you could be hurt you much more than you'd like to admit.

Your grandfather, her husband, was the one who was blessed with your family's mage heritage. He was unbelievably skilled at his work from the stories you'd heard, but he passed when you were too young to even remember his face.

Your father said that he knew you would make a great mage one day and make him and his predecessors very proud. Maybe proving your skills and worthiness to your grandmother was your way of proving to your grandfather that you lived up to his claims.

At least they were both together now...

You were happy that they could both rest with each other for eternity after being separated for so long, but it still hurt.

Even years before her inevitable death, you would visualise scenarios in your mind of what life would be like after her passing. They brought tears to your eyes every time without fail, making your throat painfully tight, but nothing compared to once she was truly gone.

Your eyes were delicate and sore from the sheer amount of wiping. Tears ran down your cheeks like a steady stream of water running down a river, not flooding but unending.

She was buried in the gravesite that was on family grounds, buried peacefully with the rest of your family that had passed before her.

A decently large group of family and friends were invited to the ceremony and the wake that would take place afterwards. Everyone had to return to the manor sooner than expected because of the approaching rain clouds, heavy with water. Fortunately, everybody was still able to pay their respects beforehand.

You couldn't bring yourself to eat, despite your mother's encouragement. Your appetite was long gone since the news of her passing.

She died peacefully in her sleep. You were relieved to know that she didn't suffer, but you still couldn't get rid of the thought that no matter what you did, you would never get her back...

Time is precious, and each passing second that you live your valuable life is a second that you will never get back. Nobody is promised tomorrow, so you always tried to cherish every small moment you and she shared.

You felt so dull, sitting at one of the prepared tables, littered with food and small snacks. You crossed your arms on the table to rest your head, eyes settled on the nearest window.

Small droplets of rain settled on the glass, soon rolling down the heavier they got. You couldn't even hear much other than the sound of several cries and heavy rainfall.