Chapter 2: The Weirdo On Maple Street

I dug through boxes in Mike's basement, looking for some clean clothes for the new girl, as the boys bombarded her with questions. I finally found something decent for her to wear and headed over to where they were seated.

    "All right, that's enough. She's just scared and cold!" I interrupted their interrogation and held out the clothes to the girl, "Here, these are clean." The girl took the clothes and then began to lift her shirt over her head.

    "No! NO! NO!" We all shouted. I grabbed her arm lightly to prevent her from lifting any further.

    "See, over there, that's the bathroom. Privacy, get it?" Mike led her over to the bathroom. After a few moments, he came back over to the rest of us and let out a deep sigh.

    "This is mental," Dustin said with a hint of panic in his voice.

    "At least she can talk." Mike pointed out.

    "She said 'No' and 'Yes'. Your three-year-old sister says more!" Lucas exclaimed.

    "She tried to get naked," I noted.

    "There's something seriously wrong with her, like wrong in the head!" Lucas loudly concluded.

    "She went like..." Dustin made a motion similar to taking off a t-shirt. I giggled a little at his silly gesture.

    "I bet she escaped from Pennhurst." Lucas theorized.

    "From where?" Mike asked.

    "The asylum in Kerley county," Lucas clarified.

    "You got a lot of family there?" I joshed. Dustin high-fived me and laughed at my joke.

    "Bite me!" Lucas retorted.

    "In all seriousness, he might be right. That would explain why her head is shaved and why she had no sense of privacy." I explained.

    "Why she went like..." Dustin repeated his earlier motion.

    "She's an escapee is the point. Probably a psycho." Lucas considered.

    "Like Michael Myers," Dustin added.

    "Exactly! We never should have brought her here!" Lucas shouted.

    "So you wanted to just leave her out in that storm?" Mike questioned.

    "Yes! We went out to find Will, not another problem." Lucas yelled.

    "I think we should tell your mom," Dustin suggested.

    "I second that," Lucas joined in.

    "Guys! We weren't supposed to be out tonight, remember?" I pointed out.

    "So if I tell my mom, then my mom tells your mom, then..." Mike added on.

    "Oh man," Dustin panicked.

    "Our houses become Alcatraz!" Lucas exclaimed.

    "Alright so here's the plan..." Mike explained a plan about how we were going to deal with the strange girl situation. The plan was for the girl to pretend like she was a complete stranger, knock on Mike's door, and then for Mike's mom to send her back to wherever she belonged. It seemed like a pretty good plan at the time. We all packed up our stuff and headed home for the night, totally unprepared for what lay ahead.

    The next day, Steve drove me to school with a grin on his face the whole way there.

    "Did Nancy Wheeler put that grin on your face?" I teased. Steve glanced over at me for a moment and rolled his eyes before placing them back on the road.