Chapter 18: Camp Know Where (In-Between)

A/N: Sorry.

TW: Kidnapping

--~+~--

    It was a week after my eighth-grade graduation. I was excited about a lot of things; the freedom of summertime, the imminent arrival of high school, and most of all, going to Camp Know Where with Dustin. Camp Know Where was a summer camp for intellectually gifted teenagers, it was a very exclusive camp that people work very hard to get into. Dustin and I were able to get in because we were the top two in our class; Dustin was number one and I was number two.

    Steve had agreed to drive Dustin and me to camp, and Ms. Henderson was going to drive us back after the camp was over. I double-checked all of my bags, making sure I had brought everything essential. I heaved my luggage down the stairs and went over to the kitchen to grab some snacks for the road, considering it was about a two-and-a-half-hour drive.

    "Come on! We still have to pick up Dustin!" Steve shouted. I nodded and patted my pockets, making sure I had my wallet just in case I wanted to buy something from the gift shop, only to realize I still had my swiss army knife.

    "I can't bring this," I muttered to myself, placing it on the kitchen counter. Steve looked at the knife quizzically.

    "Is that my swiss army knife?" He questioned.

    "It hasn't been your swiss army knife in over a year, Steve," I replied. Steve rolled his eyes and sighed.

    "Come on, let's go. After I drop you guys off I have to high tail it back to Hawkins in order to get to my interview on time," Steve explained. He had applied for a job at an ice cream shop called Scoops Ahoy that had opened up in the new Starcourt Mall. I nodded and headed outside with my bags. Steve popped the trunk and I shoved them inside. I clapped my hands and jumped up and down with excitement before hopping in the car.

    We had been driving for almost two hours. Dustin and I were sitting in the back seat together, wanting to have as little space between us as possible. Steve had the radio turned on at a low volume and was tapping his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the music. I rested my head on Dustin's shoulder as I doodled on the back of his hand. The drawing was still in its early stages, but you could begin to make out some distinct shapes.

    "Are you drawing a beetle?" Dustin questioned, looking down at his hand.

    "It's supposed to be a Buprestidae beetle, also known as a jewel beetle," I explained continuing to doodle on his hand, "They're known for their beautiful iridescent colors and their wings are used to make beetlewing jewelry in certain parts of Asia." I added the finishing touches to the doodle, doing my best to make it look like a jewel beetle without any colors. Dustin looked at the drawing with a smile, I could tell he liked it. He wrapped his arm around me and held me close. The song that was on the radio was fading out and there was always a small pause in between songs, so for a moment, we sat in comfortable silence.

    "I love you," Dustin whispered. I moved around so that I could look him in the eyes, he was blushing a lot. He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off with a gentle kiss.

    "I love you too," I smiled. Dustin placed his hand on my cheek and his lips on mine. The kiss started sweet but quickly turned passionate. I placed my hand on Dustin's neck and pulled him in as close as I could, considering we had seatbelts on. We kissed rhythmically to the music that was on the radio for two minutes, only breaking apart for air.

    "Okay, I know you guys just had a really sweet moment but can you please not make out in my backseat?" Steve asked, ruining the moment. Dustin and I pulled apart, he looked embarrassed but I just giggled. I placed my head back on his shoulder, uncapped my pen, and grabbed Dustin's other hand, ready to start a new drawing.