Chapter 23: The Flayed

~3rd Person~

Dustin, Robin, Erica, and Steve screamed at the top of their lungs as the storage room plummeted downwards. The room had transformed into some sort of elevator and was going a hundred times faster than any normal elevator would. Erica ran over to the control panel with Dustin, whilst Steve and Robin hugged against the walls of the elevator.

"We're going down! We're going down!" Steve panicked.

"No shit, Harrington!" Robin spat.

"Why don't these buttons work?!" Dustin shouted.

"Just press the button!" Erica ordered.

"What do you think I'm doing!" Dustin screamed as he smashed his fist onto the "Open Door" button repeatedly. They continued to scream at the top of their lungs until the elevator came to a screeching halt, sending the four of them to the ground at the sudden stop in motion. Everyone slowly stood up and caught their breath.

"Is everyone okay?" Robin asked.

"Yeah, I'm great now that I know Russians can't design elevators!" Steve boomed as he ran over to the control panel.

"I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work," Robin stated.

"They're buttons! They have to do something!" Steve yelled.

"If we had a key card," Robin explained, "It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a key card, it won't operate, meaning..."

"We're stuck in here," Dustin finished.

"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night at Tina's," Erica declared, "And Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jack's party tomorrow and my mom finds out you three are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat."

"I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jack's party! Your mom's not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!" Steve blew up.

"Hey," Dustin gestured towards a panel on the ceiling, "What if we climbed out?" The group grabbed a few boxes, piled them up, and then used them to prop open the panel and climb onto the roof of the elevator. As Dustin and Steve stood atop the elevator, they looked upwards to see that they were deep underground for what appeared to be miles.

"What were you saying about climbing?" Steve sarcastically questioned.

~Y/n's POV~

Ozerov and Dr. Zharkov entered my room. Ozerov seemed more tense than usual, which was concerning because he always seemed pretty tense. Dr. Zharkov helped me sit on the edge of my bed, causing searing pain to shoot throughout my back. He unbuttoned the back of my hospital gown and examined my wounds.

"What's going on with you, Ozerov?" I asked. He looked at me quizzically, as though he was trying to decide whether or not to tell me.

"Come on, you know practically everything about me. Can't I know what's going on in your head?" I persuaded.

"I got a call from Grigori," My blood went cold as Ozerov said those words, Grigori had come in to torture me a few times in the early stages of my captivity, so I knew that couldn't be good, "Our head scientist on The Key has been taken by the Americans." My mind was filled with questions. However, there were two that were the most prominent in my head. One, how do the Americans know what's going on, and why are they in Russia? Two...
"Which scientist?"

"I don't believe you know him," Ozerov stated, "His name is Alexei." My heart sank as I remembered that familiar name. Alexei had been so nice to me; and if he was kidnapped by Americans, he would undoubtedly be killed by either the American military or the KGB.