Chapter 3: Holly, Jolly

Before school, Dustin, Lucas, and I headed over to Mike's house to make plans on how to kick some Demogorgon ass. I sat on Mike's couch with my legs hanging over the armrest and my back on the cushions, eating some Pringles that I stole out of Dustin's bag.

    "We'll just tell our parents we have A.V. club after school. That should give us enough time for Operation: Mirkwood." Mike told us.

    "You seriously think the weirdo knows where Will is?" Lucas sassily asked.

    "Just trust me on this!" Mike insisted.

    "Okay," Lucas's voice was laced with doubt.

    "Did you get the supplies?" Mike questioned.

    "Yeah," Lucas, Dustin, and I said in unison.

    "Binoculars from 'Nam, army knife also from 'Nam, hammer, camouflage bandana, and the wrist rocket!" Lucas listed off items as he pulled them out of his bag one by one.

    "You're gonna take out the Demogorgon with a slingshot?" I doubted.

    "First of all, it's a wrist rocket," Lucas clarified as I rolled my eyes and ate another chip, "Second of all, the Demogorgon's not real. It's made up. But if there is something out there, I'm gonna shoot it in the eye and blind it!"

    "Dustin, what did you get?" Mike inquired.

    "Nutty Bars, Bazooka, Pez, Smarties, Nilla Wafers, apple, banana trail mix, and-" Dustin paused for a moment before looking over at me "You stole my Pringles!" I giggled and ate the last one before throwing the empty container on top of the pile of snacks.

    "Seriously?" Lucas asked.

    "We need energy for our travels, for stamina. And besides, why do we even need weapons anyway? We have her!" Dustin explained while gesturing towards El, who was sitting next to me on the couch.

    "She shut one door," Lucas retorted.

    "With her mind!" I pointed out.

    "Yeah, that's insane! Imagine all the other cool stuff she could do. Like..." Dustin grabbed Mike's millennium falcon and held it in front of El, "I bet she could make this fly! Concentrate, okay?" Dustin dropped the millennium falcon to the ground. He tried to get El to make it float for a few moments, failing every time.

    "Y/n, what did you bring?" Mike asked.

    "I stole Steve's swiss army knife," I respond, pulling it out of my pocket and flipping out the blade, "I don't intend on giving it back."

    "Co-" Lucas tried to say.

    "Time for school!" Mrs. Wheeler shouted from beyond the basement. Dustin, Lucas, and I hustled out of the basement, leaving Mike to talk to El on his own. We all hopped on our bikes and waited for Mike before heading off to Hawkins Middle.

    During lunch, the four of us went out into the schoolyard to gather rocks for Lucas's wrist rocket. I was gathering rocks a little further away from the boys, but I turned my attention back to them once I heard Lucas say, "If you love her so much, why don't you marry her?" This was going to be fun.   

    "What are you talking about?" Mike asked.

    "Mike, seriously?" I sassily questioned.

    "What?" Mike squeaked.

    "You look at her all like, 'Hi, El! El! El! El! I love you so much! Would you marry me?" Lucas teased.

    "Shut up Lucas!" Mike retorted. Suddenly, the worst person in the entirety of Hawkins Middle arrived to spoil the fun.