Chapter 24: E Pluribus Unum

~3rd Person~

"The gate," Steve and Dustin said in unison. Robin and Erica looked at the boys quizzically.

"I don't understand. You've seen this before?" Robin asked as they headed for the exit.

"Not this exactly," Steve replied as they walked down the stairs, "All you need to know is it's really bad."

"Really bad. Like, end-of-the-human-race-as-we-know-it kind of bad," Dustin elaborated. Erica stopped dead in her tracks as she realized something was missing.

"Steve, where's your Russian friend?" Erica questioned. As if on cue, an alarm sounded and red lights flashed throughout the Russian base. A horde of Russian guards stormed into the comms room, causing the four to run back where they came from.

Steve swung the door to the viewing platform open and then dashed down a flight of stairs with the gang shortly behind. They took a wrong turn and ended up two seconds away from plummeting down a steep drop at the edge of the machine, but quickly recovered and ran the other way. Steve spotted a door and opened it, allowing everyone to run through. Steve slammed the door shut as Erica and Dustin found a vent cover and popped it open. Steve pushed against the door with all his strength, but the Russians pounding on the other side were starting to get the best of him.

"Robin!" Steve called. Robin dashed over to assist him in holding the door open. Erica climbed inside the vent and Dustin was about to, but he looked back at Steve and Robin.

"Go!" They screamed.

"I won't forget you!" Dustin shouted, before ducking down and closing the vent cover behind him. The instant Dustin got inside the vent, the Russian guards burst through the door, sending Steve and Robin flying across the room.

~Y/n's POV~

I sat on the bed in my room, observing the drawings of my friends and family, when I saw the flashing lights. I had no idea what was going on. Did the Americans find our base? Was I going to get out of here? Did a Demogorgon burst through the gate? Was I going to die?

A panicked for a moment, but the alarms went off shortly. I thought back to the moment at the door. If Steve and Dustin were actually there, the alarm was surely about them. I heard a clicking noise and my door swung open to reveal Ozerov.

"Hey Ozzie, how's your day goin'?" I jokingly questioned as Ozerov barreled toward me. His answer came in the form of a slap across my cheek. I held my hand against my face and looked up at him with hurt in my eyes. He gripped me by the collar of my hospital gown and threw me to the ground with all his force. I yelped in agony at the feeling of the wounds on my back forcefully hitting the ground.

"What did you do?!" Ozerov screamed.

"Nothing!" I shouted. This was the first time Ozerov himself had laid a hand on me, normally his guards were the ones that beat me senseless. He decked me across the face, sending my glasses clattering to the floor beside me. I reached for them but he grabbed my wrist.

"WHAT. DID. YOU. DO."

"I don't know what you're talking about!" I screamed. Ozerov let go of my wrist for a moment, giving me a chance to crawl over and grab my glasses. Right as I got them placed back on my face, I felt a stinging feeling in my neck. I turned to my right to see Ozerov pulling a needle out of the part of my neck that wasn't covered in a bandage. My vision went hazy as I flopped onto the ground like a dead fish.

"You'll find out soon enough," Were the last words I heard before I went unconscious.

~3rd Person~