ten

Max, Lucas, Dustin and the parents (Dylan and Dustin) made their way quietly through the woods. Nobody said anything, uneasiness set in amongst the group. Thoughts all racing about what they were about to encounter. It could be same as the Demogorgan last year, or it could be a few hundred times worse. 

The closer they approached the lab, the louder the shrieking of the Demodogs got. Dylan felt like throwing up, from the large amount of emotions she was feeling. Nervousness, anger, pain, all of it. Some of it she knew weren't even her emotions. They were Will's or the Shadow Monster's. She could tell who's were who's, and she could also feel that Will's connection was stronger to the Shadow Monster's than her own.

"Wait, I think I hear something." Steve said, holding his hand out to stop the group. They listened closely and then continued their way towards the lab entrance.

"Hello? Who's there! Who's there!" They heard as they got closer, headlights of a car coming into view. 

"I think that's-" Dylan started.

"Steve?" Nancy said.

"Nancy?" Steve replied. 

"Dylan." Jonathan said.

"Jonathan." Dylan's eyes brimmed with tears immediately upon seeing her brother. She stepped towards him throwing her arms around his neck, hugging him tightly. 

"Dylan." He said again, wrapping his arms around his big sister.

Dylan couldn't explain the feelings of happiness and relief she felt upon seeing her little brother. She needed him more than anything and here was standing in front of her. Seeing him gave her the slightest bit of hope. She had to refrain from crying tears of joy as they held each other tightly. 

"What are you doing here?" Nancy asked.

"What are you doing here?" Steve said. Steve hadn't seen Nancy in days since she apparently ditched with Jonathan. Now out of the blue they were here coincidentally. 

"We were looking for Mike, Will and Dylan." Nancy replied, looking at Dylan, noting how sick she looked. Jonathan had made that note immediately upon seeing her. Gorgeous, glowing Dylan looked ill as if today were her last.  He had never seen her look like this.

"Mike and Will aren't in there, are they?" Dustin asked. 

"We're not sure."

"Why?" Jonathan questioned.

Before anyone could answer, terrifying screeches erupted from the powerless lab. The teenagers then huddled up together to talk about what they knew and to form some kind of plan. Everyone was talking over each other, Steve trying to tell Jonathan that his sister had almost died, Dylan and Dustin telling Nancy everything about hers and Will's connection to the Shadow Monster. There were several conversations happening when Nancy focused past Dylan and on the lab. 

"The power is back on." Nancy said as she pushed through Dylan. Everyone turned their focus as the lab's lights flickered back on, the sound of the generators beginning to turn. 

Everyone ran back to the gate where Jonathan and Dustin fumbled with buttons in the security booth outside the gate. A few minutes passed when the gate creaked open. 

"We're gonna go check it out. Stay here with the kids." Jonathan said. Dylan didn't object and Steve simply nodded.

Nancy and Jonathan got in the car and drove up towards the lab. Dylan leaned against Steve who was leaning against the security booth and took a deep breath. Things were slowly getting harder, something as simple as walking taking the life out of her. Especially after the chaotic day they had. Max, Dustin and Lucas anxiously paced around in circles, nobody saying anything.