two

Halloween

"Morning,"  Dylan jumped as Jonathan came behind her in the kitchen and began making himself some breakfast.

"You good?" He laughed a little and she nodded slightly.

Dylan still couldn't decipher if what had happened last night was real or not. She retraced her footsteps a million times trying to piece together the events. She came home after dinner with Steve, then went straight to the kitchen for water. She never went to bed. If she did, she doesn't remember. There's no way it was a dream. It had to be real.

"I'm good." She replied as I finished with my dishes.

"Dylan!" Joyce yelled causing her to jump again.

She turned around and looked her, brushing some hair from her daughter's face, "Y-yeah?"

"Where's Will?" She asked.

"What, he's not in his room?" Jonathan answered for me. She didn't have time to answer because she turned around and left down the hall to find Will. "What's wrong, Dylan?"

"Nothing. I'm just a little jumpy this morning." Dylan shrugged and shoved everything into her book bag before going to Will's room.

"Tell me I'm not crazy and last night wasn't a dream." Dylan said as she shut the door behind her. She had a sliver of hope that Will had no idea what she was talking about and she was just dreaming.

"You were there? You actually were there? You saw it, too?" Her heart dropped as the Will flooded the air with questions, tugging his shirt over his head.

"I saw it." She replied under her breath.

"These episodes... I thought they were real. Now that you've seen it too, I know that they are." He told her.

"So what was it? What does it mean?" She asked as her mind began to race. They both flinched when his bedroom door flew open and Bob poked his head in.

"I'll see you tonight." Will said to his sister before leaving the room to talk to Bob.

Dylan had trouble focusing the entire day at school. She was jumpy in my classes and couldn't focus on anything the teachers were doing or saying. Her entire life felt like it was becoming a mess all over again.

Steve came up behind her while she stood at her locker and poked his fingers into her hips which caused her to turn around and push him away.

"Damn, Dyl." He said, his eyebrows furrowed, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"Just don't touch me, Steve." Dylan snapped, before slamming the locker door and storming out of the school and to her car. She figured there was no way she could could handle another 4 class periods at school.

She couldn't even explain the feelings that were coursing through her body. If that was real then what did that mean for Will? For Hawkins? For her family and friends? For her?

Dylan pulled back up at at the Byers' house and went inside, walking to her room and sitting on the bed. She took a deep breath and tried to replay everything she saw last night. 

None of it connected. None of it made sense. Why could she see it but my mom or Jonathan couldn't? Was I just in the wrong place at the wrong time? Her brain could hardly form logical questions because of the anxiety she was feeling.

"Dylan, what are you doing home so early?" Joyce came into her room with her Halloween costume and Dylan stood up, looking at her. Before leaving school she didn't think as far ahead as what she'd say to her mom if she saw her.