The Aftermath

~Third-person P.O.V~
A year has passed since the intentional forest fire caused by the two assassins, Jack and Patrick Blackwell who were reportedly died in the fire. The lady smokejumper was finally in peace with herself and the boy deserved recognition for submitting the truth about the deceased assassins. The forest was also rebuilt along with the watch tower and the log cabin was also for sale since the owner decided to move out. From the good news, there's also bad news followed.

There has been rumors about of a strange creature roaming in the forest and many said that one of the assassins survived the gunshot and had eaten the burnt corpse of his brother, turning him to a Wendigo. The infamous beast that once was human then cursed with a never-ending starvation and feasts on unsuspecting humans who wandered deep or found themselves lost in the woods.

~Your P.O.V~
I just moved to Montana and finally bought that log cabin in the forest. Luckily, the place didn't get burned so that's a plus for me! I've recently took an early retirement from the army and I've been looking for a new job. When I found an ad that the forest ranger here needs a new watchman, I immediately applied and got accepted. I asked what happened to the previous watchman and the rangers told me that the previous one went missing.

Apparently, the rangers had appointed one of the senior smokejumpers to oversee the forest while it was under replanting few days after the fire and after a few months, they went missing and the rangers did a search. They did found the missing smokejumper but they were found dead with their body was torn to shreds. As if something or someone had eaten them. There were others who took turns on watching but no one ever stayed when night came. There's also a rumor of a monster in the woods but I don't believe it.

"Here are your keys..." the former lady of the house gave me the key and I thanked her, "Thank you, Mrs. Sawyer.". "Allison is fine." She said with a sad smile and I thanked her again, "Thank you, Allison." With her name. I gave her my condolences and she thanked me back. Her late husband, Deputy Sherriff Ethan Sawyer was killed during the attack that happened along with the forest fire. Allison hopped back in her truck and drove away with her baby.

I unlocked the door and went inside to check out the place again. It looks intact though there were some stuff Allison took with her and I noticed some patches on the wall. I guess those were the bullet holes from the attack that night. The rest of the furniture are still here and I found the main bedroom and I started unpacking.

The bedroom looks cozy and luckily, the cabin is fully furnished so I didn't have to worry about getting more stuff in. I brought some of my rifles that I thought I could go try to do hunting but for now, I'll stick on using it for defense. I do want to go out and check out the watch tower but the day was getting darker and the rangers told me specifically NOT to go out at night because of the sightings and attacks that had been happening.

It's not that I'm afraid of the dark or anything and I have my rifle on me so I can defend myself just fine if there's any predator that tries to eat me. Well, since the rangers told me not to go then I won't wander at night. Also, my shift starts tomorrow morning and that gives me the opportunity to check out the forest and the damage while working. What is this "monster" that everyone's been talking about?

A.N : Here's the first chapter! I'm starting to accept that whenever I write the first chapters, it'll always be less than four pages in my notebook. Again, I never directly type my stories on my laptop and I always write them down first. It just makes it easier for me to edit it out while I'm typing and I'll just move it here. Hope you guys enjoy and I'll see you in the next chapter! RD out!! Boi!!!