What, Me Worry?

~Your P.O.V~
It's my first day of work and I'm on my way to the watch tower. I got my uniform on and brought my rifle along for extra defense while walking. It was a short walk and thankfully, I brought my compass along.

The new trees were growing and it was a nice view to start the morning. "Good morning, (y/n)!" the ranger greeted me. "Good morning, sir." I greeted back and immediately asked if I can bring my rifle along. "You have the permit, yes?". "Right here, sir." I pulled out the paper and showed it to the ranger.

"Yup, it's all good. You can keep the rifle." The ranger gave me the all clear and gave me back my permit paper. "Thank you, sir." I thanked him and took my paper back. The ranger then offered to give me a ride to the tower and I said yes. I hopped on the truck and he drove to the tower.

Though it was just a short drive but the ranger thought it would be safer for me just in case. I asked the ranger if the rumors are true about the "monster". "Allison shot dead the guy and she left. Though the fire didn't reach that part of the forest so chances are it's true." The ranger half answered. "But do you guys really believe this thing actually real?" I still don't believe them.

"Anything can happen or exist in the forest even though it's quite overrated." the ranger gave his answer but it wasn't really a straight one if he or the rest believes this monster. The truck finally arrived at the tower and I thanked the ranger after I got off, "Thanks for the ride, sir.". "Be careful if you want to wander around and good luck on your first day!" he wished me luck and I nodded before the he drove away.

I hung my rifle over my shoulder and climbed up the stairs. The rangers gave me the copied keys of the tower and good thing I didn't forget to bring it along. I got to the top and unlocked the door before walking in. the tower is surprisingly still intact though the burnt ashes covered some of the interior and there were some new inventories here since some of them were either broken or stolen.

I found a guide book of the tower and I read it while inspecting the control panels. It wasn't that hard to understand then I heard an incoming transmission from the tower radio. "Base to tower, do you copy?". "This is (y/n)(l/n) in the tower, copy." I responded. "Are you authorized to use this channel?" I told them that I'm the new watchman. "One of the rangers can prove my authorization.". "No need to push it, miss (y/n).".

"This is Sheriff Halsey Powell and contact us if you found anything troubling." Sheriff Powell introduced themselves and I said okay. After familiarizing myself with the tower's equipment, I climbed down to check out the forest and I never took off my rifle. "The place looks like it went through a lot." My comment while scanning the view while walking.

There are some newly grown trees and old ones with new branches. I could tell a bit how the damage was but I'm not that sure. I walked in deeper and I found a creek. For some reason, my brain thought of bones when I peeked in the water just like in the movies. "No, that's ridiculous!" I shook my head, shrugging it off but I did peek in the water out of curiosity. Thankfully, the water is clear as expected with no bones in it.

"What was that?" I heard rustling. I looked around and there was the rustling again. "Who's there!" I shouted a warning while holding my rifle and I saw something black running. It didn't take long for me to realize it was running towards me and it was big. I didn't have the time to shoot and I started running back to the tower while hoping that it won't catch me.

I ran and ran and when I got back to the tower, I immediately climbed up the stairs. I almost tripped but I got it to the top and when I looked down to see, the black thing was gone. I was going to exhale in relieve when my phone startled me. "Goddamnit!" it was an incoming call and I answered it, "Yes?" I half pant. "Hey, (y/n)!" it was my cousin, Allen.

"Allen!" I was relieved. "So glad to hear you again...". "Are you alright?" he asked and I told him I'm fine. "Anyway... I'm visiting you today." What a great surprise! Allen asked for my new address and I gave it to him. I told him that I can't want for him to come. "Right, I'll be over after lunch." Said Allen and I said okay. "See you this afternoon.". "See you too, Allen." We bid goodbye and I closed my phone.

I continued watching over the forest while reporting back to Sheriff Powell and I went back after lunch. I was speed walking back to the cabin though I didn't have to because that black thing could've been a bear that I nearly escaped from! Luckily, I have my compass with me or I wouldn't find my way back. I really need to map out the directions in my head.

"Finally..." I exhaled in relieve and went inside after unlocking the door. Getting a snack won't hurt after that running back. Moments later, I heard a car pull up and I know it's Allen. He knocked the door and I opened it to greet him, "Allen! You're here!". "Hey, (y/n)!" he greeted me back. Both of us went inside after I invited him in.

"Take a seat! Make yourself at comfortable." I sat down after Allen sat down. He asked how my first day way and I told him that it was pretty interesting. "How was it?" Allen asked again. "I got the luxury to wander around the forest—don't worry I brought my compass." I quickly reassured him and continued, "I was wandering around then I found a creek—-". "Don't say that you thought there were bones in it." Allen pointed and I said yes in embarrassment. "Of course you did..." he facepalmed.

I continued again that after peeking in the water, I heard rustling sounds. "I called out if anyone was there then I saw a big black mass." I told Allen that it was a bear and it was chasing me. "Couldn't you just shoot it?". "I didn't have the time to shoot." I replied. "I climbed up the tower though I nearly tripped but I got up there and when I looked down, the thing was gone." I finished the story.

Allen then speculated that it might've been the monster instead of a bear and I insisted on the bear. "I'm pretty sure it was a bear.". "Still, you could've just shoot it." he sarcastically responded. I then asked if he want to stay for the night and he teased, "I thought you're the most sturdy back in the academy...". "It's different here, okay!" he chuckled an apology and agreed to stay. I know he would always bring spare clothes whenever he goes somewhere.

"Thanks, man." I thanked him in relieve and Allen went to grab his stuff from his car then put them in the guest room. He's always been really helpful even back in the academy. I'm glad that he's still helping me. 

A.N : I'm back, guys! And no, I did not forget about this book. Just take a bit longer to write and I'm in my final exam week now. I hope I can continue this book in the same pace as the others and hopefully I can finish the others. Also, sorry if you guys do have a cousin that named Allen. It's just a coincidence. Hope you guys enjoy this chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!