Don't Look at Me

~Jack's P.O.V~
I ran back to the stream and managed to transform back. Even so, it wasn't enough to close the shot wounds. "That fucking ranger." I growled but it quickly went to a pained grunt. He really got me good. That fucker shot me square on the arm and my shoulder. One of the bullets grazed my head but it still stings and I'm at least glad the bleeding stopped when I turned back.

I winced while washing off the wound and it's better than I leave it. I sighed in relieve once it's cleaned but still needs something to cover it. "Should I...?" I wondered if I should go back to the tower for a bandage but after last night... I don't think I can openly show myself around there. I don't think (y/n) wants to see me again.

"Damn it." I exhaled. I ripped a piece from the clothes I've worn and wrapped the holes before putting on new ones. I'm still hungry but it's a different kind of hunger. I don't feel hungry to eat humans as much as before then I guess it's just the old-fashioned kind of hungry. "Heh, I'm worrying about eating again." I cockily chuckled. What do I do now?

~Your P.O.V~
"What was that last night?" I still couldn't believe what happened. That deer monster—-that Wendigo has been Jack this entire time?! "All those nights... that letter... it was all him?" I didn't want to believe it but everything he did was helping me? This is crazy... I'm being crazy! There's no way a monster like that was helping me.

The ranger and I agreed for us to stay put for the day though I'm not sure if we should report our encounter. I don't think anyone would believe us even Sheriff Powell. I don't even want to hear it once they know about the incident last night. The ranger and I would lose our jobs or worse, we could be sent to the facility!

"Calm down... keep yourself together, (y/n)." I pulled myself back and exhaled. Then I remembered I left my stuff back at the tower and as much as I don't want to go there, I have to go. "Ugh, fine!" I exasperated and took my shotgun before leaving. I'm already familiar with the areas around the forest but I still carry my compass just in case. Carrying those two has been a habit for me.

I locked the front door just in case and went to the tower with my hoodie up. I really don't want anyone to see me today. I eventually got to the tower safely and unnoticed and climbed up the stairs. When I got to the door, it was locked when I tried to open it. I searched my pockets for the key and I forgot to bring it. "Really now? Fuck's sake." I cursed at myself. I went to the window and one of them was smashed open again.

"Again?" I was annoyed but there was a part of me felt relieved with it. I carefully climbed through and I'm finally in. My bag was on the desk and I immediately opened it to check. "Everything is still here." I was relieved but I still find it odd. If anyone broke in, they must've seen my bag and they would've taken it or took anything inside. I scanned the place and I noticed the first aid kit was forced open. "What the...?" I was confused.

I checked the box and the only thing that was missing was a roll of bandage. These things shouldn't be surprising or scaring me but after last night... I'm not lowering my guard ever again that I've been doing it for these past weeks. "Is anyone here?" I called out with my shotgun out. "I will shoot if you don't show yourself..." I gave a warning. "I repeat... I. Will. Shoot. You hear!"

A clunking sound startled me and I shot at the direction. The smoke cleared out and turns out I made a hole on a can. "It's just a paint can." I sighed and lowered my gun. I hung over my shotgun back and tidy up the place again. I guess spending the day cleaning the tower by myself might be a good distraction. "It's better this way." I silently huffed in relieve and started cleaning.

I spent half of the afternoon cleaning then I heard the radio came in. "Tower One. Watchman (l/n) here." I picked up. "(y/n)?" it was Sheriff Powell. He was surprised and thought I was taking a break today. I told him that I am and I remembered I left my things in the tower. "I'm here to take it and clean up the place that it's been trashed again." I added, half huffing.

Sheriff Powell sighed from the other end after hearing it and I felt a corner of my lip twitched up. "It's alright, sir. I'm used to this." I reassured him and told him I'm almost done cleaning. "If you say so... take care, (y/n). Over.". "You too, sir. Over." I closed the channel and changed it to the base, asking if they can get someone to fix the window again.

I heard one of my colleagues exasperated and I told them that I'm annoyed too with this. "Can you please get someone to fix this?". "Fine, fine. Now get out of here before he finds out." They kicked me out and I ended the transmission. About half an hour later, I finally finished cleaning the place. "Done." I sighed in relieve. I walked to the balcony and rested my arms on the railing, just enjoying the view. The sky was calm and the wind was a soft breeze.

Even with the silence, my head went back to what happened last night. I turned my head to the door and the scratches were still there. "Was he trying to open the door?" I wondered. "Was he really looking for me? Is that what he has been doing whenever I overslept?" my mind starting to spit out million questions but I don't want to make any conclusions yet about this.

"So, Jack somehow survived from the shooting. But how?" that has been my number one question but I don't know if I should or can ask Jack about it. "I don't know, man..." I sighed in defeat and slumped my chin on my arms. I was nearly asleep when I heard rustling from below. "What?" I lifted my head and scanned the ground.

I didn't see anyone and took a loop around the balcony to make sure but I still couldn't see anything. I swung over my shotgun and went downstairs, not letting my guard down for a second. I got down and called out, "Hello? Anyone here?" I pointed my shotgun halfway up while cautiously scanning my surrounding. "Anyone here?" I called out again.

"I'm not on duty today but I will not hesitate to shoot or arrest you if you don't show yourself!" I gave a warning. I stood in place, not moving a muscle on my feet and use the silence to listen. My ears felt heightened in this situation along with my awareness. There was a fast, crunching sound and my reflexes made me shoot at the direction. "Show yourself!" I yelled.

Another crunch was heard and I fired at the tree. There was someone walking out behind the tree and it was Jack. "Jack?" I was surprised but there was a small part of me that's relieved. "Stay back!" he growled at me. "Don't come close." And warned. I didn't listen and slowly walked towards him. "I said stay back!" his voice slightly morphed and it froze me in place. His face was a mix of anger and threat, trying to scare me away but I think I saw a hint of fear under it. He then ran away again.

A.N : Hey, guys! I'm back! I actually wanted to upload this few days ago but there were some things that took a toll on my mental and emotional state but I'm fine now. I'm actually on a two week off for Eid Mubarak and I have plenty of time. Well, plenty of time to procrastinate to be exact. Anyway! Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!