Familiar

~Jack's P.O.V~
I opened my eyes and this time I finally saw the light. My eyes slowly adjusted themselves and I realized I was still in the forest. It feels like a long time I've been trapped in an endless nightmare since that night. The burning sensation on the side of my face, the chasing and the shooting that I was the one who got the other end of the bullet. Twice.

I moved my hand and I could feel the dry leaves but it's a different sensation. A familiar sensation. I looked at my hand and it was back to normal. That can't be true. I stood up and I felt my feet was back to normal. My balance was back and I went to the campsite I raided few nights ago. The security here didn't improve much since I've been snacking on their watchmen and many campers just left stuff behind.

There was a mirror in one of the tents and I couldn't believe myself. I'm back to what I was before. I'm human again. "How could this happen? I thought—urk!" why am I still hungry? I ate the leftovers I kept here but it still wasn't enough as usual. Guess that I'm not entirely back. I put on some clothes and went to the creek to wash my face.

I washed off the blood from my mouth and those sharp teeth were still there and one of my eyes is still white. This doesn't make any sense! I'm back but why am I still hungry? How am I going to be fully human again if this keeps up? Or maybe I will never be back again. I can't think of this now. I splashed the water on my face again and I walked around the forest as usual.

"I hate this place... so fucking much." That girl wasn't wrong when the trees hate me back. It was punishment for me that this place is cursed. I had to eat my own brother when I couldn't fight off the hunger and the rest became a haze. A nightmare that I thought would never end but I know that I was awake for the entire time.

I walked around and I got to the tower again. I looked up and the sun was blaring on my eyes. It's been a while I haven't seen the sunlight. I climbed up the stairs and peeked inside but the place was empty. I punched a hole on one of the windows and climbed in. "Agh..." I shook off my hand and found a first aid kit inside. I cleaned off the blood and wrapped my hand with the bandages I took.

The place still looks the same just like last time I thrashed it. Looks like I can use the place for the night. I know that no one's ever survived the night shift when I'm around. Though I heard there's another replacement for guarding the tower now... I wonder where they are today and don't tell me that they're too scared to come because of me.

I climbed down and continued walking and the memories were slowly coming back again. It's still the same nightmare even though I'm partially back to myself. Then there was a familiar view and it was the cabin where that bitch shot me. This is a good opportunity for me to have my revenge. Guessed that being cursed to this thing has it's own benefits.

~Your P.O.V~
The ranger gave me a day off today so I can take a breather from yesterday. Gotta thank him for giving me the compensation or I would've almost lost my mind if he didn't. I was supposed to enjoy the day but for some reason... I felt uncomfortable, like something wrong is going to happen. I think it's just the shock from yesterday.

Good thing I got the day off today is that I got the chance to redecorate the place! I brought out the decoration box and the place looked much nicer now. Well, it's just some picture frames and trinkets while the others I didn't need, I put them back in the box. While I was cleaning up, I felt that I was being watched. Is this why I've been on edge for the entire day? What if that thing really found out I live here?

I gathered myself and went to check the back door. I have my rifle with me and I opened the door but there was nothing outside. Then there were leaves crinkling and it sounded it headed to the front door. I immediately went to the front door and opened it, "Who's there!" I shouted with my rifle pointed out. "Calm down! It's just me!" a guy came out with his hands up.

He had slightly graying hair and he looked a bit messy. He was wearing a green flannel shirt under a red jacket with dirty yellow pants and slightly worn out boots. I wonder if he hitchhiked to get here. "Who are you!" I still have my rifle pointed at him, not letting my guard down. "Just calm down for a moment..." and he asked me to lower my gun.

"Why should I?" I was not convinced. "I need your help. I think I'm lost.". "Wel... too bad!" I put my rifle down. "I still haven't got the turns and corners of the place yet." I half teased him with a smirk. "You'd be more lost if you ask me for directions and too bad you missed the rangers." I informed him that the rangers just finished their daily patrol and they just left. "You could've asked them for help instead.". "I guess you're right..." the guy sighed a small chuckle.

"But do you mind me come inside? I won't take too much of your time?" he asked and I'm totally fine with it. "I have the entire day." I invited him in and it's nice to have a visitor. "I haven't caught your name by the way..." I almost forgot about that. He paused for a bit then answered, "It's Jack. And yours?". "I'm (y/n)." I shared mine. "Nice to meet you, Jack." He nodded.

I noticed that one of his eyes is a different color. It was light grey with no black outline, almost like it's white while the other is normal grayish blue. I thought it was weird but I don't want to ask him about that. "It's nice to meet you too." Jack responded and I offered him to take a seat. "Would you like something to drink?" I offered again. "Anything is fine." He answered. I nodded and went to the kitchen.

I have to admit Jack looks cute but there's something off about him. Is he the reason why I've been feeling uncomfortable the entire day? No, that's ridiculous. I walked back with two cups of coffee to the living room. "Sorry for the wait.". "It's fine." Jack shrugged and I put the cups on the table. "I hope you don't mind coffee..." he shrugged it again and took a sip. He asked if I'm from around and I told him I just moved here. "That's why I said that I don't know the place that well yet." I added with a slight embarrassed chuckle and Jack nodded.

"Where is Allison?" he asked and how did he know Allison? "Oh, she moved out and sold the place." He was smart enough to guess that I bought the place and he was silent from my answer. He then asked how long I've moved here and I told him it's not a month yet I moved here. "Why do you move here?". "I work in the forest." I added that I'm the new watchman of the tower. "Then you must've heard what happened last year...". "Everyone has been telling me that." I answered.

I told him what the ranger told me and Jack was listening very intently. Like he wanted me to know what happened. "How about yourself?" he was stunned by my question. "How did you know that?" I wanted to know why he asked. "I... just wanted to make sure of things." He got an answer out but that didn't actually answer my question.

Jack quickly finished his coffee and stood up, "Thank you for your time. I'll take my leave now.". "Do you know where to go?" I worriedly asked for some reason and he told me that he'll find his way. "Then you know where to find me if you need help." I nervously chuckled and he nodded. "Will I uh... will I ever see you again? It's nice to have some company..." I asked.

"Maybe..." Jack answered with a hollow tone and left. That was quite a surprise and I hope the ranger knows something about Jack.

A.N : I can't believe I did another double upload! Should I put this on hold again? I think I should... and if you guys remember my purged story... if you don't then this chapter is basically a parallel of one of the chapters and I had a bit of trouble of modifying it but I think I got it. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!