Chance Encounter

~Your P.O.V~
It's been days being the new watchman of the tower and so far, there's noting weird or "monstrous" happening in the forest. Mostly the rangers patrolling the forest and I saw a group of kids camping one day. I went down to remind them what to do and not to do and thankfully, they didn't accidentally set the forest on fire again.

Allen stayed for the night again the other day. He said that he had another fight with his girlfriend and was kicked out for the day. Their relationship hasn't always been a good one for the past three years and sometimes I don't know why he still want to stay but I'm not to judge. Speaking of relationships, I wasn't in a good one for some time. The last time I was in one, I nearly got stabbed in the back. Literally.

I saw the ranger's truck pulled up and I went down to greet him. "Good morning, sir.". "Morning, (y/n)." he greeted me back. "The usual rounds, sir?" I comically asked and the ranger said yes. He then asked if I saw anything out of the ordinary and I said no. "Everything is fine lately and Sheriff Powell was relieved with it." I informed.

"Though there was a group of kids camping the other day and luckily, they didn't set half of the forest on fire again." I told the ranger about the campfire. "That's a relieve." He sighed in relieve. "Or I would have fined those kids for causing another forest fire." I chuckled, "I'm sure you would, sir.". The ranger and I patrolled the forest though I'm just tagging along but I think it's a good opportunity for me to memorize the layout of the forest.

"Did you have any incidents on yourself?" the ranger asked. "O-oh..." I was caught off-guard for a second. I then told him about when I was chased by something. "What did it look like?" the ranger asked. "It was big for sure and fast and black." That was all I can describe. "Does it have claws? Horns? Or a particular animal skull for a head?" he asked again and I shook my head, "I couldn't remember any more details, sir." And apologized.

Even though I can't give a full picture of the thing, the ranger said it was okay and he was relieved that I'm okay from the chase. I thanked him and he left me to continue my job. "Oh, and one more thing, sir.". "Yes?" he stopped for a bit. "I was wondering if you can give me a permission to have night shifts.". "You can start it anytime if you said that the place is fine." He gave me his permission and I thanked him before he left.

My shift was as usual and I can't wait for my first night shift! The creek here became my new favorite spot. The sound of the water flow is soothing and I spent most of my time there. Also, I kinda use the place to practice hiding in between the trees. Just in case if I ever get stalked or someone tries to attack me. Or maybe being a jerk, scaring anyone who came through here.

I had lunch back in the tower while listening to the radio just in case if I got a transmission from Sheriff Powell. Nothing much was on but it was nice to pass the time. I went down again and wandered around with my compass in hand. This thing is so dang handy. I walked around while memorizing the paths and I found the big gap. It was the spot where Allison shot one of the assassins.

"It doesn't look as bad as I imagined..." I muttered my comment while walking and as usual, I never left my rifle behind. I checked out the place and I found some sort of a mountain of dirt. It looked like someone carelessly covered it or buried something when I took a closer look but I somehow I got a bad feeling about this.

There was something sticking out from the dirt mount and I think this one was recently covered. As stupidly curious I was, I poked it with the back of my rifle handle and the mount collapsed. I was horrified and I wished I didn't do that. The thing that was sticking out was a finger and under the mount was actually bones and severed body parts. Some of them looked fresh and were aggressively cut off. Something with sharp claws and strong jaws could've done this but I'm not sure if a mountain lion would do such damage.

I heard something again and it sounded like marching sounds. It was getting closer and when I heard the roar... it was my cue to leave. That damn bear must've back again for revenge. I got some distance and I shot at the bear to slow it down. Some of the bullets did hit it then I heard another roar but it wasn't any roar I know. It sounded not human.

"Shit!" I stood too long that I gave the bear enough time to catch up. I started running again and now there are two sets of footsteps chasing me. I ran and ran and I fell again. I must've tripped on an exposed root. "Not now!" I hissed and saw the bear was closing in on me. I knew I had no time to run.

I closed my eyes and held up my hands to shield myself, expecting for the worse but I didn't feel anything. There were two different roars and when I opened my eyes, the bear was being attacked with that thing. It looks exactly like everyone told me. It has a deer skull as a head with sharp fangs and pointed horns. Its body is mostly covered with black fur and it has sharp claws with feet like deer stumps. Its eye sockets are pitch black with only white dots as the pupils. I was sure that this is the wendigo people had been talking about.

I sat there, frozen watching the monster shredding the bear to pieces. Blood was splattered everywhere and the roars devolved to grunts and agonizing screams from the bear as the beast was eating it. Like the animal was just some sort of a light snack for the wendigo. All of me were stuck like I was being tightly tied and I couldn't close my eyes from watching the horror.

The beast then turned its head to face me and the sheer flow of fear snapped me back. I shakily held up my rifle to the beast, "S-stay back!" trying to warn it. I saw it slowly walking towards me and the scent of blood and decaying flesh was getting stronger. I wanted to puke. It walked closer and I shouted back, "Get away from me!". It roared at me but for some reason, the roar sounded like it was telling me to go.

"LEAVE!!" it roared again and I ran. I thought it was going to chase me but it didn't. I ran straight back to the cabin and I frantically called the ranger. I was spitting gibberish when I heard the phone clicked and the ranger told me to calm down. "Now slowly tell me what happened." he instructed. "I-I found... t-there was..." I stuttered. I tried again and managed to let it out, "I saw the thing you told me!"

Silence filled the air for a second and the ranger broke the ice, "What? Are you alright?". "I-I'm fine." I answered and told him that the thing didn't hurt me and I'm back in the cabin. He was relieved that I'm safe and the last thing I wanted was that stupid night shift I asked earlier. I am NOT spending the night in the tower with that thing running around the forest.

"(y/n)? Are you there?" the ranger's voice snapped me back. "Y-yeah, I'm still here." I answered. he then asked if I got a close look on the creature and I started describing every detail I saw. I don't think I'll ever forget how it looks like for the rest of my life. "That's it... that's the wendigo." The ranger confirmed. He then told me if I ever encounter it again, I have to burn it to kill it.

"There should be a flare kit somewhere in the tower. Always keep it with you.". "I'll remember that, sir. Thank you." I hung up and continued the rest of the day very cautiously. I hope that thing doesn't know I live here.

A.N : This book is still going, guys! I'm not abandoning it just yet! Well... you know my usual excuse for why I didn't upload this so yeah. But now I'm on a month off, I hope I can put more attention to this also adding the fact that I just finished one of my books last night. I should really continue the others I've put on hold... anyway! Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter and I'll see you in the next one! RD out!! Boi!!!

P.S : yes, I use the iconic deer version of the Wendigo. I just think that it's the coolest version...