Chapter 1

Whirring. A loud whirring sound fills my ears but darkness still fills my vision. Shouting sounds from the distance, sounding almost muffled, as if I'm underwater. Whirring. Shouting. Darkness.

Whirring.
Shouting.
Darkness.

"Clem," a voice calls, sounding more distinct than the muffled shouting. "Clem!"

My eyes open as my body shoots up, finding the deep, chocolate eyes of Newt beside me. I look around and find myself still in the helicopter, its blades doing circles in the air as the men in black suits escort Minho and everyone else out. Thomas lays on the other side of Newt, still in a deep slumber. It's dark now, and I see a light--as if coming from a big building--behind Newt. My eyes meet his again as they look at me with urgency. Words come from his mouth but I can't hear them, as if I'm still underwater.

"Come on, Clem," the boy shouts over the whirring, "we got to go."

Finally, his words register in my mind and I find myself getting up, leaving the helicopter. The boy grabs ahold of my hand as he leads me towards the building, my eyes adjusting to the light. Men jog on either side of us, guns in their hands as they rush us towards the building, urging us to hurry. I notice silhouettes... silhouettes of people--many people--on the sandy hills around us, running towards us. The men behind us shoot at them, and my mind continues to try and comprehend what's going on.

Are those the people with the Flare? The people Ava Paige mentioned in the video?

I feel myself trip over my own feet, and my body starts lurching forward. But Newt catches me, helps me find my footing, and guides me as we continue running towards the building. I look up at it for the first time, noticing its breathtaking structure. It looks like a huge facility.

Shouting and roaring are heard from behind us as more men with guns pass by, going towards the noises. We finally cross into the building, the machine-like doors closing automatically as Thomas runs in behind us. All of us stop in a group as we look around--the room we're in looking like a storage unit for the big facility. People--adults--are all over the place, ordering to do things or working in an organized fashion. I feel Newt give a light squeeze to my hand as we take it all in.

The safety of our new home.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

We soon find ourselves in a smaller room, looking like a big closet with all the equipment and materials stored around. I sit on a pile of cushions next to Newt, snacking on some of the food that was left on the big table in the middle of the room. We're all staggered around--Minho sitting on top of a table, Winston at the food table, Frypan against a pole near us, Thomas and Teresa sitting against cushions in front of us, and the rest of the boys sitting at tables around the room.

I look up at Newt, dried blood dripping from the cut on his left cheek. I dip my finger in some of my water and wipe the blood away as his eyes remain on my face while I do so, looking at me in awe. "Does it hurt," I ask him, my voice quiet and soft.

"It's just a small scratch, I'm fine," he assures me with a smile, "I'm a big boy."

I roll my eyes at his remark, "Whatever you say, loverboy. It just looks a little deep compared to normal scratches."

"I'm okay, Clem," he tells me once more as he moves a strand of hair out of my face, tucking it behind my ear as he looks into my eyes. My hair hasn't been removed from its dutch braids from days before, so it's messy and strands are all over the place.

My eyes make their way to the two in front of us. Thomas has barely said a word since we got here, probably because he's still in shock from the events from the days before. I don't blame him, I mean--it all happened so fast.