Chapter 19

I wake up, the bright light blinding my eyes as I open them. Squinting, I look around and notice Newt sleeping in a chair beside me. His sandy blond hair is a mess but somehow still perfectly parts to the side of his face. He looks worn out and exhausted, and there's a bunch of dirt on his face. I look to my right hand and realize he's holding it--his hands have dried blood all over them. The boy looks like a little puppy as he sleeps, and he finally looks at peace. I feel my heart tug at the sight.

My thigh is all bandaged up and I'm not in the W.C.K.D. uniform anymore. The wound still hurts--not as bad as it did last night though. I try sitting up, but feel pain shoot up my body and I groan at the feeling. Newt suddenly wakes up, the boy's grip on my hand tightening as he realizes I'm awake and shoots up from his seat.

"Woah, relax," he tells me as he places his right hand on my cheek. "You're still pretty beat up, and they couldn't find any pain killers so it's going to bloody hurt if you move too much."

"Okay," I give in. "Just help me sit up please." The boy nods and pulls me into a sitting position. Pain shoots up my leg as he does so but I endure it and let it be. I look around, noticing everyone walking around the camp and salvaging what was left of it. My heart sinks as I remember the events from the night before. "Minho..."

Newt gives my hand a consoling squeeze as I look at the boy, seeing the sadness hinted in his eyes. "There's nothing we could have done, Clem," he tells me. "He put himself in between us and the danger so he could protect us."

"We have to go save him," I urge him. "We can't leave without him, Newt. You know that. And we have to save all the other kids they took too."

"Trust me, Clem. I would do it all in a heartbeat, but I just don't know how we would be able to pull it off."

I sigh as I realize he has a point. But I know that if we just try and plan it out correctly, we could do it. I push the thoughts away as my eyes land on Fry and Thomas. "I wanna walk around. And yes, I know it'll hurt but we're going to have to move out of this place eventually so I need to get up anyways."

"Okay," he breathes as he puts my backpack over his shoulders and helps me up. It hurts but I ignore the pain and keep going. He holds my hand, interlocking our fingers, as we walk over to our little group. I have a big limp as I walk, each step feeling terrible.

"Hey," I laugh. "Now we both have limps... only mine is temporary."

He raises his eyebrows as he looks at me with a smile and chuckles, "Are you making fun of me?"

"No," I snicker.

"You better not be," he tells me jokingly. "Because if you are, I'm going to tickle you again and you won't be able to get away with that leg of yours."

"You wouldn't."

"I definitely would."

I roll my eyes as we finally make it to Thomas and Fry, the two boys looking at me with wide eyes.

"Clementine, you're not supposed to be walking around. Your leg is still jacked up," Milo scolds me as he walks over with Brenda and Jorge.

"I'm okay, Milo," I assure the boy as I sit down with Newt beside me. We all sit there in silence for a few moments as the direness and seriousness of the situation hits us. I rest my head on Newt's shoulder. Everything was just taken from us, again.

"What do we do now," Fry mumbles.

"We pick up what's left of us," Vince answers, drawing our attention to him. "We stick to the plan and get you kids to the safe haven." The man stands up and takes a look around. "And we start over... I guess."

"I'm not going with you," Thomas states as he stands up and slings his bag over his shoulders.

"What?" Vince stares at the boy like he's stupid. I look at him, and notice that usual look of determination in his eyes. A smile crosses my face as I realize he's thinking the same thing I'm thinking.

I stand up with a grunt, getting a worried look from Newt. He locks eyes with me, and his face drops as he realizes what I'm thinking. "We have to get Minho," I tell Vince.

"I made a promise to him that I wouldn't leave him behind," Thomas explains. "I have to go after him."

Newt stands up beside me and puts his arm under my shoulder, taking the weight off my right leg. He looks at me with an insisting look, as if trying to convince me we can't do it.

"Kids, look around you," Vince tells us as he looks around. "W.C.K.D. just kicked our butts. They took almost everything away. Think about where you're going... it's not going to work out."

"I'm not asking anyone to come with me," Thomas states as he turns his gaze to me. "Clementine, you especially."

"What's that supposed to mean," I huff.

He points at my leg, "You're injured."

"And? It'll heal. I'm going with you."

Newt gives me a look before turning to the brunette. He speaks in a low voice, "Thomas, listen to me. I've known Minho for... as long as I can remember. So if there was any way that we could go and help him--trust me, I would be up there standing next to you." His chocolate eyes shift over to me. "Standing with the both of you. But what you're talking about? It's impossible."

"More like suicide," Jorge adds. Everyone in our little group was standing now, paying attention to our little conversation.

"We at least have to try," I mumble, looking into the boy's chocolate orbs. I feel a prick in my heart as I think about Minho, one of the boys that has been with me since the very beginning. "This isn't just for Minho," I explain, my voice getting louder with each word. "This is for every kid W.C.K.D. took last night. For every kid that has died because of W.C.K.D.'s experiments. For every life that W.C.K.D. has taken."

I make eye contact with every person around me as I continue. "For Ben. For Jeff. For Alby. For Winston. For... for Chuck. For Aris, Sonya. Mary." Heartbroken expressions cross everyone's faces as I list the names. "This is for them."

"They'll never stop," Thomas adds. "So I'm going to stop them. I'm gonna kill Ava Paige."

"I have to admit," Harriet tells Vince, "I'd like some revenge."

"Well those were some good speeches, kids," Vince smiles. "So what's your plan?"

Everyone's gaze turns back to me, but I look straight to Thomas--the boy who always comes up with stupid, crazy plans. "What're you thinking, Thomas?"