Chapter 18

I groan as the pain in my leg intensifies and my side starts to hurt. I look up and find Newt on top of me. He jumped onto me to save me from getting hit.

"Are you okay," he asks me as his hands find my cheeks.

"Just a little beat up but yeah," I respond. The boy wipes some dirt off my face as we stand up, staying low so that we don't get hit by any flying debris. I look around before noticing Ava wasn't there anymore. "Where is she?"

"Over there," Newt answers as he points towards some men guiding her and Teresa into the berg. "I let her get away, I'm sorry."

"Hey, hey," I stop the boy as I pull his hands off my cheeks and place my hand on his. "It's okay! Look, everyone's fighting now. At least now, we have a better chance."

He nods before we run over to the others. All the W.C.K.D. soldiers were getting their senses back and notice us run off. They point their guns at us and shout.

Thomas glances at all of us before chucking the bomb at the group of soldiers. "Run! Go, go," the boy urges us.

Newt, Minho, Fry and I run over behind some cover just as the bomb explodes. "He is one crazy shank," Minho mumbles.

People around us get ahold of guns as they fight the soldiers. Vince and Harriet run over to the machine gun as the man shoots all the soldiers in his sight. I notice Janson retreating back to the berg along with many others. I look over at the jeep and watch as Jorge and Milo jump out, instantly going guns blazing towards all the W.C.K.D. soldiers.

"We gotta go," I tell the boys around me. I try getting up but instantly fall over, my right leg giving out on me.

"Your leg, Clem," Newt reminds me.

"I know, I know," I sigh. "Just help me get up, we have to go."

Newt and Fry pick me up off my feet as I throw my arms around the two boys' necks. Minho takes the gun from Fry and starts shooting at the soldiers as he shouts at us to get back and run. Thomas catches up with us as we go and hide behind another set of containers.

I turn around, leaning up against the container as I watch Minho shoot at the men. Suddenly, he stops and I realize he's struggling to reload. No, no, no. I can't lose you too.

"Minho," I shout at the boy as I scramble to my feet. I feel adrenaline rushing through me and suddenly, all the pain goes away. I rush towards the boy as he gets shot by a stun-gun, his body convulsing once again. Thomas rushes behind me, along with Newt and Fry. I'm limping but I'm still pushing through. My throat starts to hurt as I repeat the boy's name over and over again, tears streaming down my face as I watch the soldiers take him away--take my best friend, away.

I trip over a rock and Jorge catches me. I try to keep going but he holds me back, as he shoots at the soldiers coming towards us. "Clementine, no! You can't-" But I pull out of his grasp, still shouting as I run after the boy.

I feel someone pull me back into their arms and drag me up a hill. Everything goes hazy and the noise around me drowns out as I keep thrashing my body around, trying to make my way towards the boy. I feel like I just got stabbed in the chest as I watch the door close and the berg fly away.

Eventually, I stop pulling away and let my body collapse. I fall into the person's arms, and I look up to realize it was Newt this whole time. He wraps his arms around me as I lean back into him, holding his arms as I sob. We were so close... so close to being safe and living the lives we deserve. I can't leave without Minho. We have to go back and get him. We have to get the others.

Milo rushes over to my side and notices my wound. "Clem, your leg!"

"I know," I somehow get out through sniffles. Suddenly, I feel myself being pulled up. I realize it's Newt and Thomas, the two boys carrying me over to a tent. They lay me down on a makeshift bed as they shout around for Vince and Harriet to get medical supplies.

My head starts to feel fuzzy as all the noise muffles, and I feel like my body's submerging under water. I look up and see the tiny lights above fade away as everything around me goes black.