Chapter 16

I look to Thomas, only to find that the boy was already looking at me. "Well, what's the plan?"

"I thought you had one," he stammers.

I groan. "Great." Looking back at our group of friends, I notice W.C.K.D. soldiers begin cuffing them and rounding them up. My eyes land on Newt, the boy struggling as they pick him up. My hand subconsciously reaches up to the necklace he gave me, fidgeting with the little charm. "Either way, we need to come up with one fast."

I look back over at the boy and find him holding Jorge's bomb. "What the heck are you doing? Are you trying to blow us up?"

He makes a face, and shrugs. "Maybe."

I raise my eyebrows at the boy, "What's the mind of yours thinking, Thomas? Something stupid as usual?"

"Yeah," he lets out a small laugh.

A smile forms on my lips. "Since that night you ran into the maze and helped Minho and I with Alby, I knew I would follow you anywhere. You just have a knack for running straight into danger and knowing exactly where danger lies. So I'm in on whatever your klunk brain is thinking, Thomas."

He smiles at me, but it quickly fades away. "Clementine... I can't let you come with me. If this goes wrong, we could all die. And I can't allow that when you have Milo to go back to."

I give him an insisting look. "Thomas, I may not be able to look into the future, but I know we won't die. We're too much of fighters for that to happen. Milo will still have his big sister after tonight, don't worry. Besides, you and those guys are basically my brothers too... aside from Newt, but you get my point."

He laughs at my last statement before getting serious again. "Okay, I'm gonna go turn myself in. They're going to realize that you and I are missing, but my bet is that Janson will want me more considering all the mess I've caused him. So he'll be looking for me regardless if Newt and the guys tell him I'm dead. I'm only taking the bomb as a distraction, maybe you can whip something up and catch them off guard."

"How am I going to catch those shanks off guard," I ask the boy, trying to come up with ways myself but finding nothing. "There's way too many of them and I guarantee more are coming. Plus, they're all armed to the teeth with guns."

"I don't know, maybe you can snipe at them from afar," he suggested, knowing that it wasn't the best of ideas.

I roll my eyes. "They're bound to catch me if I do that."

I look at the boy and see the cogs shifting in his brain. His eyes widen as if an idea just popped into his head. "Maybe you can get ahold of Janson, hold him at gunpoint you know?"

"That could work," I mumble. "But you know I'm small compared to most of them, Janson too. And I don't know how I'll be able to sneak up on him without his men noticing me."

"When I pull out the bomb, that's when you move in. All his men will be focused on me, so it'll give you a small gap to sneak to him," he elaborates his plan.

I nod my head. "Okay, I'm gonna have to find a gun but I'll make it work. I still have my knives on me too."

"Alright," he tells me. "I'll move in first, but while they 'capture' me you need to start sneaking over there."

"Got it," I respond. He nods his head as he hides the bomb and trigger in his jacket, and starts his way over. "Thomas," I call out to him.

He turns around and walks back over to me. "What?"

I quickly hug the boy and he looks at me confused. "Don't get us killed, alright?"

He chuckles, "Alright." The brunette starts walking down to where Janson was gathering everyone up as I sit down for a moment.

"Okay, Clementine," I sigh. "You got this, just don't screw up."

I stand up and walk over to some unburnt tents, staying low the whole time. Looking around, my eyes eventually land on a W.C.K.D. soldier on the ground. Someone must've shot him.

I walk over to the man and an idea pops up. These will definitely be a bit big on me and it'll definitely be strange seeing a small little W.C.K.D. soldier roaming about but....

I let out a long sigh. "Fine," I babble to myself. "I'm sure there are other short little W.C.K.D. people. Besides, everyone's focus will be on the kids and Thomas anyways."

I reluctantly fumble with the man as I take off his gear. The only things I needed were his jacket, pants, helmet, and gun; so when I finished taking those all off, he was still fully clothed. I try not paying much attention to the man as he seems to be dead and I don't want my focus to be on that.

I put on his suit, which surprisingly wasn't insanely big on me. A horrid sound comes out of my mouth as I put the helmet on. "Man, this guy has bad breath... well, had."

After slinging the gun strap around my neck, I make my way over to the big group as calm as I can be. I try looking as soldier-like as possible and walk with the gun in my hands, trying to fit in.

I notice Thomas isn't here yet and my heart sinks. How the heck did I get here before him? I took like ten years getting this suit on.

I stand off to the distance as my eyes land on Newt, the boy having a harsh glare on his face as he stares at Janson. Minho and Fry sit beside him, all of them looking beat up. We'll get out of here soon guys. Just hang in there.

"Hey," a voice shouts. I feel my skin go cold and my body freeze as if I'm paralyzed. The voice comes from a taller soldier as he walks up to me. "Any sign of the boy?"

I shake my head. The man sighs, "Janson's going to lose it if we don't find him anytime soon." He walks off as I let the tension the leave my body and relief settle over me.

"Where's Thomas," Janson shouts from the middle of the area. It's clear that the frustration of the situation is getting to him.

"I'm right here," the brunette announces as he makes his entrance. He holds his hands up as W.C.K.D. soldiers grab ahold of him and lead him to Janson.

"Thomas," the man greets him before punching him in the stomach. I flinch at the action, knowing that it hurt a lot. Vince tries getting up to help the boy, but he's held down by some men.

Some soldiers throw Thomas around as they seat him next to Minho. Janson looks around before raising an eyebrow and looking at my little group of Gladers. "Where's the girl?"

"She's dead," Newt answers almost immediately. My heart squeezes as he says it. He's trying with everything to protect me.

"Yeah, right," Janson scoffs.

"It's true," Newt persists. "She got bit by a Crank after we escaped."

"She died a few days ago... killed herself before she could turn," Minho adds.

Janson stares at the two before shaking his head. "Alright," he walks over to a man and whispers something to him. The man nods his head and looks down at his device. Suddenly, a big airship soars through the air--I believe I heard someone call it a berg once.

It makes its landing as gusts of wind blow through the air, shooting up dirt into everyone's faces. The door opens, revealing some men...

And behind them:

Ava Paige.