Chapter 2

Our group sits at a table, across from a few boys. I sit between Newt and Minho, the blonde being on my right at the edge of the bench. The boys in front of us tell us about their experience in their maze, and we come to realize that it's very similar to ours.

I drown out the conversation, my eyes wandering around the room as my mind goes into deep thought. Guards surround the area, two at each door with guns planted in their hands. I get why they need to have high security to protect us, but aren't they overdoing it? They should have more people outside the doors to prevent intruders from coming in, instead of people inside here. It looks like they're preventing us from getting out instead.

"Clem," Newt whispers to me, bringing my attention back to the table. I look at the boy, his face looking concerned. "What's wrong?"

I shake my head, "Not here." Turning my gaze back to the boys in front of us, I notice Minho looking at Newt and I with his eyebrows raised. I shoot him a look, trying to get him to lay it off for now too.

Suddenly, Minho stands up, his gaze fixated on the back of the room. "The shank finally showed up," he mumbles, as Newt and I turn to look at the door from which we came in.

Thomas enters the room, a confused expression on his face as he looks around. Minho walks over to him and guides the brunette to us. The boy takes a seat between Minho and I as the boys in front of us finish telling their story.

"Then these guys came in and started shooting up the place," he continues, "they took us from the Maze and next thing we know, we're here."

"What about the rest," Newt asks, engaging in the conversation for the first time. "The people left behind in the maze--what happened to them?"

The boy shrugs, "I don't know. I guess W.C.K.D. still has them or something."

I cringe at the word. W.C.K.D. My mind goes back to what I saw on the computer screen, chills running down my spine as I think about the whole thing.

Newt and I look at each other, before looking at Minho and Thomas. "How long have you guys been here," Newt continues questioning.

"Not long. Just a day or two," the boy answers before turning his attention to a kid sitting at a table alone. His hood was on and he was just staring at nothing. "The kid over there--he's been here the longest, almost a week now."

"Like how yours was full of boys, with you being the only girly," the boy besides him says as he points at me, "his maze was nothing but girls."

"Really," Minho asks, more rhetorically than an actual question.

"Some guys just have all the luck I guess," the boy from before answers.

Suddenly, Janson comes into the room, a clipboard in hand as he walks through the aisles. Men in lab coats file in behind him as they line up along the wall. "Good evening, gentlemen and ladies," he announces, all of us turning our attention to him. "You all know how this works--if you hear your name called, walk up to the front in an orderly fashion. You'll join my colleagues as they guide you along the Eastern Wing, where your new lives will begin."

Claps echo around the room as the four of us just look at each other. I exchange a look with Thomas, and notice he shares the same skepticism that I have.

The room quiets down as Janson lifts up his clipboard, reading off names. Kids rise from their seats all around as they walk over to the men, smiles on all their faces. He puts down his clipboard as disappointed groans are heard around the room, Janson immediately raising his voice to calm them down. "Now don't get discouraged. If I could bring more of you, I would... but there's always tomorrow. Your time will come."