Chapter 7

We go through the next day, walking and walking and walking. It felt never-ending and the mountains just seemed like they were getting further and further away. We were running out of water and everything was just so draining.

The sun shone on us, the heat burning us up. At some point, we all just took off our jackets and wrapped them around our waists.

There was nothing but sand and dirt.

We hadn't come across a building in what felt like forever and my feet felt like they were dying. I assumed the area we were in to be, or what used to be, an ocean based off the ship we were on the night before. It was the only explanation as it wouldn't make sense anyways for there to be completely nothing--no ruins of buildings or towns. 

Eventually, we all laid down to rest in the middle of the place, our bodies sort of forming a circle. I laid next to Newt and curled up into a ball.

━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━◦○◦━

I wake up to a harsh tap on my leg and a scratchy voice shouting. Opening my eyes and quickly sitting up, scared that something bad was happening due to the urgent voice, I look around to see what all the ruckus was about. Turns out, Thomas was the one who tapped my leg and he was screaming frantically about lights ahead.

Typically, seeing lights wouldn't excite me this much. But they were lights. Which meant electricity, which mean life, which meant people.

Everyone gets to their feet and observes the dazzling glow in the distance.

"We made it," Newt mumbles from beside me.

I look intently at the lights, "I don't know about that. Doesn't seem too secretive to me. Like W.C.K.D. could spot them easily."

Suddenly, we hear a loud clap of thunder behind us. We all turn around, realizing the big dark clouds in the sky coming towards us. Lightning was flashing in the sky and the thundering sounds began to fill the air.

"We gotta go," Thomas shouts as we all rush to pick up our backpacks.

We all sprint through the wasteland, towards the shining lights. The sky above us just continues to get darker and darker, and the storm sounds like it's right on our butts. Surprisingly, the source of lights seem to get closer way faster than the mountains did when we traveled towards it.

We made it towards the outer part of the structure, passing by tons of cars as we do. Lightning strikes to the ground super close to us, each time making my heart skip a beat. Fry, Newt and I lead the group, running full speed towards shelter.

We make it to the building, Fry swinging open the door as soon as we do. Suddenly, lightning strikes behind us, sounding a little too close. I turn around as the rest of the group pile into the building, and notice Thomas and Minho on the floor. Thomas gets up and runs towards the unconscious boy.

My legs start moving on their own and I feel Fry's hand grab onto my arm, but I shake it off. "Minho!"

Thomas is shaking the boy when I get to the two. My heart is racing as I look at him, laying on the floor. "Come onn, I'm not losing you, man." I put a finger to the side of Minho's neck, checking for a pulse. It's faint, but it's there. He's still alive.

Newt appears at my side, looking at me with a concerned face. "Help me get him up," I tell the boy, and he does as told. The four of us start running as fast as we can to the door--the situation once again reminding me of Alby. I push the thoughts away as we make it in, Fry shutting the door behind us.

Darkness fills my eyesight as Newt and I place the boy on the ground.

"Someone get a light out," I urge, placing my hands on Minho's chest. A flashlight shines down onto the boy, all of us crowding around him.