Chapter 4

We stare out into the blue abyss ahead of us before Thomas snaps us back into our senses, "Come on! Let's go!"

We run out the doors, booking it towards one of the big sandy hills ahead. I feel sand be thrown against my skin as we run, and I have to squint my eyes to be able to see without getting sand in them. We make it up the hill, soon realizing that they've already gathered a whole search party for us. Men are all around the front of the building--some in RTVs while others are on foot.

"Come on, stay low- stay low. We'll lose them in the storm," Thomas tells us as we follow the boy, doing what we were told.

Eventually, we lose sight of all the lights from the search party and come across a random building buried in sand. Teresa rushes into the opening, the boys shouting at her to come back but I follow her.

"Don't be idiots," I shout at them as I walk in, "we won't survive out there! At least in here, we have shelter."

Reluctantly, the boys all pile in, making their way down the sandy slope. "What is this place," Minho asks as he points his flashlight around.

"Some kind of mall, I guess," I answer, taking in my surroundings. I wonder about how I still have all this information in my mind about the world but no memories relating to them.

"Alright, come on. We gotta go," Thomas tells us all as he starts heading off, deeper into the building.

"No," Teresa says bluntly. "Tell me what's going on."

And so the boy did. He went on about how it was always W.C.K.D. and we never escaped--how Ava Paige is still alive and they're trying to make cures from our blood for the Flare--how the bodies of kids were strung up in that room he went into.

"Alright," Newt lets out from beside me, catching his breath as he continues. "So what's the plan? You have a plan, right?"

The brunette shakes his head, "I-I don't know."

"Well we followed you out here, Thomas," the blonde's voice cracking as he says it. "Now you're telling me that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing."

"Wait," Aris blurts out, "Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains. Said they were like a resistance or something, fighting against W.C.K.D."

"Right Arm," Thomas recalls. "If they really are W.C.K.D.'s enemies, maybe they can help us."

Newt looks at the two boys in disbelief before glancing at me. I let out a small laugh before stopping myself. "People? In the mountains? Mountain people? That's your plan," Newt asks the two.

"It's the only chance we have, Newt," Thomas persuades the boy.

"Hey guys," Winston calls out to us, as we all make our way over to him. "Look at this--Minho, shine your light here."

As the light beams onto the sandy floor, we notice footprints trailing off further into the building. "Someone's been down here," Winston points out.

We walk along the trail, Minho leading us with his flashlight. Eventually, we come across a shop where water and other materials are stored in it. Minho lifts the barred door up, allowing us to walk in. Fry and I find lanterns and flashlights and turn them on, using them as more light sources. We pass the lights around as we continue searching the place.

"Looks like people lived here," Winston observes.

"Well, where are they now," Newt asks no one in particular.

Thomas picks up a jacket from near Newt and I, dusting it off before putting it on. "Let's pack some of this stuff up. Grab anything you think you might need. Split up, see what you can find and meet back here"