Growing pain

⚠️ Trigger Warning! Abuse mentioned ⚠️
It had been a few months since I had started school. We were about half way through the school year at this point. Eddie had been teaching me how to play DND  and I was slowly getting the hang of it.
"No, since she's a high elf you can't do that." Eddie explained.
"But I rolled a 14." I looked at him confused.
"But that isn't enough to land that." He chuckled at me. I groaned and leaned against Eddie's bed.
"It was a good try though." He smiled that charming smile at me that I had grown to love. I shrugged and took down some notes in order to play better. "Are you sure you'll be up to okay in the campaign this week?" He asked as he began to pick up the D&D stuff from the floor.
"Yes Eddie, I will be fine." I smiled back at him showing him I could handle it. He glanced up and did a double take at me. He smiled up at me as I stood and set some of my stuff on his desk. I squealed as Eddie suddenly picked me from behind swinging me around.
"Eddie!" I giggled as my feet swung around.
"Yes , princess?" I could tell he was smirking behind me. I shook my head at him finally pulling away. Eddie and I had become very close, especially since I would ride with him to and from school. He recently had picked up calling me pet names and being a bit more touchy. Now mind you I didn't mind at all. A knock on his trailer door suddenly pulled me from my thought. I continued to pack up my stuff since I was going to walk back to my trailer. Eddie had gone to see who it was.
"Oh hi," I could hear Eddie from inside his room with whoever it was at the door, "yeah I got the stuff just go ahead and come in." I turned as he was walking back in.
"It Chrissy," he filled me in, "she's just picking up some stuff and then leaving."
I was kinda taken back as I peaked from his room to see Chrissy Cunningham standing in his living room. "Oh it's okay. Take your time ." I smiled at him but I was kind of hurt. I knew he didn't have feelings for me, but a girl could hope. "I am gonna head home anyways." I gave a small smile and quickly finished packing up my stuff.
"You don't have to leave, Cherry." His voice sounded hurt.
"No really Ed's. It's fine." I put my bag in my shoulder and began to head out, " I gotta make sure my mom is living anyway."
I hurried out, noticing Chrissy's confusion as I walked out the front door.

Once home, I was met with my mother drunkenly screaming at me about being out.
"You are out being a whore!" She screamed at me getting in my face. I stood my ground and didn't let her see just how scared I was. I knew what was coming. It always did. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the pain to kick in. When the inevitable happen I was down on the floor just taking it. I knew tomorrow there would be marks. I knew that Eddie and the guys would ask what happen. I didn't want to have to face them. I couldn't. When she was finally done I gathered my things and made my way to my room. I could feel the tears begin to run down my cheeks stinging as they hit a cut.
"Shit!" I cussed under my breath and looked in the vanity that I had. My lip was busted and I was getting a shiner. I couldn't go to school like this. Everyone would notice. That night I decided that I would skip tomorrow. Eddie didn't need to see me like this, even if he was with Chrissy.

The next morning, I could hear Eddie honking. I tried to ignore it the best I could till there was a bang on my window. "Jesus h Christ!" I sat up and opened up my window forgetting that my mom beat the shit out of me the night before. Eddie's face went from upset to concern in two seconds. "Oh shit." My eyes widened and I tried to cover it.
"Cherry just let me in." He said through the closed window. I shook my head at him letting my hair fall to cover my face.
"Layla, please." His voice sounded hurt. I looked up at him and opened the window letting him climb in. He never called me by my name. He took me in his arms tenderly. I lost it. I began to sob into his chest. In all the years that my mom had hit me, I had never cried like this.
"Shhh, I know." He kissed the top of my head trying to comfort me. "Why didn't you tell me she was doing this?" He asked softly. Eddie stroked my hair letting me sob till I felt like I couldn't anymore.
"She hasn't done it in months," I sniffled and finally pulled away from him sitting on my bed, " She does this when she's had too much and we cross paths." I picked at my nails not wanting him to see the full extent of what happen. "Layla, if you ever need somewhere to stay you know you can always stay at my place." He rubbed small circles on my back. "I know, I just don't want to get in the way of you and your girlfriend." I said quietly.
"Girlfriend?" Eddie's hand stopped as his face twisted in confusion, "Layla, I haven't had a girlfriend in years."
"But Chrissy?" I finally looked up at him, allowing him to see the full extent of my injuries. Eddie chuckled at me, "Chrissy is a friend that I have know since we were kids."
His smile was comforting. "Oh and I'm her dealer."
I chuckled and he held my chin to asses the damage. "Well Cherry, how does a movie and some relaxation sound?" He smiled down at me. "Don't you need to go to school?" I asked. I didn't want him to think that he had to stay with me.
"Nah," he scoffed, " I can miss a day or so."
I was glad that he was willing to stay with me. I finally agreed. We snuck out of my window and went into his. His uncle went to bed not long before we had gotten there. Eddie's uncle was kind. He never asked questions or made me feel unwelcome in the few times I had met him. Eddie made sure that I was comfortable before putting in Halloween. That night I did end up staying over. Eddie insisted that I take the bed. I knew I wouldn't be able to win against him so I caved and cuddled into his blankets. He took the floor next to where I was, said it was to protect me from any monsters in the dark. It was comforting knowing that he was there. I eventually fell asleep with my finger tips brushing against his. That night I slept the best I ever had.