9

The Darkest Temptation is out now on Wattpad (:

Word Count: 1862

~Kiva

With gritted teeth, I stare at the raging river before me.

"You can't be serious," I growl.

"You need to learn this," Ark insists.

This is my first outdoor training exercise. Ark in all his imposing state stands next to me, ready to thrust me into this raging river with a low chance of survival.

I swear it's just for his amusement.

"It's freezing out here. Are you trying to kill me?" I motion to the ice underfoot. The water is all ice melt from the mountains, which means I'm more than reluctant to step into this river.

"I gave you a week to heal. You should be perfectly capable of crossing this river."

"I can do it. I just don't need to practice in the cold."

Not that the ground is ever not frozen. Of all places father has to rule, I wish it wasn't over a cold, mountainous area.

"If they come in to hurt you again, this is the path to get to the safe-house. It could be in the dead of night that you need to cross this, after heavy rains. You need to learn before that time comes," he explains.

"I know...But it's cold," I wine.

Ark shakes his head. "I will light you a fire if you make it across."

Sighing, I stare down at my feet sinking into the old snow that is practically sludge now. I know I need to be brave, that I won't win unless I can be...

It's just not that simple.

"Come on Kiva, you need to learn this. For your safety," he prompts softly.

His patience is frankly astonishing. He isn't going to physically push me in, and could stand here for the rest of the day gently prompting me to do this.

If I didn't hate him, I would think it's an admirable trait.

"Fine. Do I just walk across," I question. It's not exactly deep or anything.

"No, or you risk slipping and falling under the white wash. If that happens, you'll drown," Ark explains curtly.

"Comforting."

Father would have a heart attack if he knew what Ark is pushing me to do, but something about that makes me want to do it more.

"If you are with someone, always use them as an aid to cross. But chances are, you would be by yourself, so you will need something else to rely on in order to cross," Ark tells me, turning to scan the area.