56

Word Count: 1883

~Kiva

We walk hastily through the forest, circling around the wait.

We don't speak as we walk. Louis's breath is harsh as he keeps up a decent pace while still carrying Erin in his arms. My mind is still whirling, or maybe that's the blood I'm losing.

It takes over an hour of us walking before we make it to Louis's home on the east side of the river. It's a simple wood cabin with two rooms and a bathroom.

I would be happy for him, if I didn't know the job title that is funding this place.

My legs wobble beneath me as I approach the couch, colours spotting in my vision. Louis hurries into another room, placing Erin on the bed.

I sit slowly, feeling faint.

I've lost a lot of blood from the back of my head. When I look down it's all over my chest, drenching the front of my shirt from where it has run down my neck.

"She's been drugged. She will be out for a bit," Louis says, closing the bedroom door as he comes out.

"It's for the best. She need's rest," I say quietly, squeezing my eyes shut.

Erin was painfully close to being slaughtered for the amusement of some wealthy man. I'm not sure how long we will be safe here, but she is out of my fathers cruel clutches.

"When she wakes she can tell us where her family are from, and I'll contact them," Louis sighs, settling onto the couch next to me.

"Thank you, Louis."

His stare darkens as he finally calms down enough to see the blood still weeping from my head. "We need to clean up your head and your face."

"My face?"

He stands, holding his hand out to me. I take it, swaying on my feet a little. He holds my shoulders, guiding me into the bathroom.

"Take a look..."

I face the mirror, gasping.

A large bruise stretches over my eyes and cheek. My lip is split and there is a nasty gash on my right cheek. These injuries must have been from me falling on my face when I was hit in the back of the head.

As my breathing settles, a deep ache settles in around my eye. I was so caught up in getting out safely that I didn't even feel the pain.

"Shit..." I murmur, gently brushing my finger over my cheek, wincing at the bite of pain that follows.

"Sit down. I'll take care of you." He pats the counter.

I oblige him, bending my head down so he can get a good look at the wound.

There's silence as he unwraps some cotton gauze and twists the lid off something. As darkness crawls through the window, cut only by the light Louis turns on, I can't help but think of Ark.

I've been gone for over a day an a half. Ark has definitely noticed my absence.

He's smart, I'm sure he will eventually figure out where I am. Problem is, that could be days from now.

And he will be angry. So angry...

"Why are you helping?" I ask softly. Since he works at my fathers business, I wouldn't have expected him to bail me out so quickly.

Father will know, and Louis may just get more than a job loss.

"I didn't mean for this all to happen," he says quietly. "Your father has been threatening my family, making me work for him."