40

Word Count: 2238

~Kiva

Taven keeps a strong hold on my arm as he knocks on a hardwood door at the lowest level of the compound.

It's opened a crack, and then enough for an arm to reach out to yank me into the room.

The door slams, locking Taven out. I doubt I'll see him again anytime soon.

Turning around, I see a few people scattered about and then Ark, standing in the centre of them.

An immense weight of emotions crushes down upon me to the point I nearly choke on them. It takes me a moment to force away the fear, but once it's gone, it leaves pure rage in its wake.

"You..."

His expression softens as he approaches me.

"Kiva, let me explain-"

"You lied to me." I hate that my voice cracks. I hate that I sound so weak, so betrayed.

But that is exactly what I am.

"You're angry, that's understandable, but-"

"You told me you didn't work for them. You made me feel safe." I take a step away from him, hating the way he draws closer.

I hate that he looks the same. He should be uglier, like his face was just a façade to trick and betray me. His true form should be revealed, and yet he looks like the Ark I thought I knew.

He's still so beautiful it hurts...his dark eyes are wide and searching, his hair still slightly too long. I hate him.

"I know. I'm sorry about that," he breathes.

"Are you? You infiltrated my life, you made me feel safe. Now you're their puppet?"

I blindly motion around the room at the few people about that have fallen silent upon my entry.  They all blink with confusion, exchanging glances between themselves.

Ark follows my gesture with a frown before he drags his gaze backs to me "I don't work for them."

"How can you stand there and say that?" Is he really going to lie right to my face?

He sighs, seating his gloved hands in his pockets.

"Because I don't work for these people. I command them."

Hideous, sickening horror overcomes me. The room spins for a moment, my shaking knees giving out.

I don't hit the floor, hands grabbing me before I make it there. It's Ark and his firm, sturdy arms that I cling to. Immediately I push away from him, brushing my hand against my sweating forehead.

"So you're their leader?" I whisper hoarsely.

He nods.

"You're a monster," I gasp out. I feel like I'm going crazy, like this is a nightmare that I can't escape from. I want someone to shake me awake and tell me that my mate isn't someone who is plotting against me.

"Please allow me to explain."

"Explain what? That you came into my life as my bodyguard and pretended to help me? You were helping me defend against people who you sent to kill me!" I snap.

I can't breathe fast enough, can't contain my anger enough to even see straight. I'm on the verge of panic, and right now, I'm anticipating throwing up all over the floor.

"We never intended to kill you," he soothes.

I wrap my arms around myself. "I don't believe that."

He takes another step, approaching me like I'm a wounded animal. "Had that been the plan, I would have killed you the first moment you followed me down the hallway."