2. Chūnin Exam, Start!

Today is the day when the Chūnin exam begins. I joined my two other teammates and we are now in the examination room. There are more participants than I expected. Everyone looks powerful which makes me feel nervous.

One of my teammates, Medayu Gonku, looks at me and makes a pity face purposely, 'Awwww Y/N, you look worried,' he then raises his eyebrow and taunts, 'Are you scared because you don't have a teddy bear to cuddle?'

My another teammate, Shida Onami, says with a smirk, 'Gonku, don't mock her, she's already being mature for not playing house.' The two of them laugh disrespectfully.

I've gotten used to them being bullies and I've never really talked to them. That's why I would rather stay with Gaara's team. I turn to see Gaara, Temari and Kankuro staring sharply at my teammates. Gaara performs his death stare. I roll my eyes as I look back to my teammates, 'St-..'

'I AM UZUMAKI NARUTO! I WON'T LOSE TO ANYONE OF YOU! CAN YOU HEAR ME!?' Naruto's sudden shout shocks everyone. He is standing at the back of the room with 8-9
Genins whom got everyone's attention.
'Wow Naruto...'
Naruto's pink-haired teammate looks embarrassed and shuts his mouth up.

'Dumbhead,' I hear Onami whisper.

Gonku raises his voice, 'Naruto huh? You seem so confident. Why shouldn't we start with a little warm up to see who loses first? Now fight me!' He takes out a shuriken from his weapon pocket in front of everyone's eyes.

I do not want anyone to start a fight especially my teammates. 'Gonku, stop,' I grab his hand immediately and stare at him.

'Get off!' He says aggressively and swings my arm away.
'!!'
My eyes widen as the shuriken flies towards my waist. I dodge instantly and turn to see the shuriken hit the wall.

I turn back to see Gaara stretching out one hand to stop Kankuro from releasing his bandages.

Suddenly, a Genin from Otogakure attacks Naruto. A silver-haired guy wearing round glasses defends him and gets hurt.

A fight nearly broke out until our proctor, Morino Ibiki, came in and stopped the aggressive ones. He states that there are 153 examinees in total. He then distributes papers to us. We are assigned to finish 10 questions within an hour.

Pressure starts to build inside of me as many proctor assistants are keeping guard of us.
'Are we prisoners...?'

Although I've been preparing for the Chūnin exam wholeheartedly, the questions are way too hard for me to answer. I start to get worried.
'Please don't tell me I have to fail this...'

As the time passes by, I start to notice the proctor assistants marking notes on their papers faster and faster. People are starting to get eliminated.

A tiny rock suddenly drops from the ceiling to the paper of a Genin sitting beside me.
'Did he just cheat...? That was loud but Ibiki did not eliminate him. Why was that?' The sounds of falling rocks continue and as it reaches the fifth time, Ibiki announces, 'Number 62, eliminated!'
The Genin beside me stands up and leaves the room.
'Huh? ...Wait, five times...'

A small smile gradually forms on my face. I figured out the answer to this exam—we have to cheat and try not to get caught for 5 times or above. This must be an exam to test for a Genin's information-gathering ability, but not a knowledge test.

I raise up my hand and say with a hoarse voice, 'I'm sorry, may I have a glass of water please? I feel dehydrated.' I am thirsty anyway. Ibiki nods and a proctor assistant goes out to grab me some water.

While the proctor assistant is walking his way to me, I see him glimpsing at a Genin's paper.
'Great.'

He hands me a cup of water so I reach out my arms to take it.
'Thank y-... Oh no I'm sorry!' Water splatters all over his hand.
'Now!' I immediately touch his hand, pretending to help him wipe the water off and dry his sleeve.
'Mizu Kioku no Jutsu (Water Memory Jutsu 水記憶 )!'
I quickly connect to his memories through water and collect the parts of images which are the other participants' papers he saw.
'A short but clear glimpse will do.'

'Ehem...' The assistant blushes and I release his hand. He picks up the cup from the floor and walks away to fill me another one. I look back to my paper and feel relieved.
'Pheww...Sorry this is cringy but I need the answers from you.'

Now I have at least five images of other Genins' papers, although some of the proctor assistant's memories are not clear. I'm glad I don't have to spill water for many times just to get him to look at the others' papers.

Mizu Kioku no Jutsu is a ninjutsu I'm proficient in. In order to capture a person's memory, I need water as a medium to attach my hand to their skin. Then, my chakra flows through my meridians to the part of my hand connecting with water, without being observable to anyone. After that, I control the water and indirectly use a very small amount of the person's chakra to make their hippocampus copy a particular memory. The water then pulls it out from their body and at last it goes through my hand to my brain. The process is complicated so I must act fast when I use it. Luckily, speed is also my strength.

'Thanks.' I smile as I take the new cup of water.
'Killing two birds with one stone, cool.'

After a few minutes of writing, I've finished the 9 questions. Nearly half of the Genins were eliminated. Some Genins volunteered to be eliminated as they were afraid to lose their chances to become a Chūnin, while some were afraid to affect their teammates' performances.

———————————————————————

45 minutes have passed since the start of the exam. Ibiki announces the remaining 78 people passed the first exam and reveals the truth of it. Our willpower was tested alongside with information-gathering. We are all shocked to see his scars all over his head and learnt a precious lesson from him.

All of a sudden, a woman breaks into the room through the window. She claims to be Mitarashi Anko, the proctor of our second exam. Our first exam has now come to an end.

A/N
Hello readers~ The first technique of yours has been revealed! I hope you like it and please look forward to discovering more of your abilities!!