8. Invitation

'Who's there!' I shout to the direction where I sense chakra.

No answer.

'What happened Y/N?' I look to Temari who is standing on another tree, 'Someone's here! Temari, you should stay here with Gaara. I'll go and check it out.'

'Alright, be careful!'

I nod in response and head off to find the unknown person.

———————————————————————

After some running, I came near to a river and see a man with a silver ponytail sitting on a cut tree trunk, facing me with his back. I jump down from a tree and slowly walk towards him. I seem to be able to recognise his back. At the moment he turns around to face me, I immediately realise who he is, 'You're the one who saved Naruto before the first Chūnin exam.'

The silver-haired snickers, 'Glad you remember me, L/N Y/N.'

'Oh...you know my name? Who are you?'

He slowly stands up and walks a metre close to me, 'Yakushi Kabuto from Otogakure.'

'Otogakure?'
I knit my eyebrows as he approaches me. His forehead protector can now be clearly seen.

Kabuto gives out a light chuckle and pushes his glasses up, 'Relax, I won't hurt you now. I only came here to bring you to Orochimaru-Sama.'

Lifting my eyebrows, I ask with confusion, 'Orochimaru?'

'Yes, Orochimaru-Sama is one of the strongest Shinobis you'll ever meet. He is going to give you a lot of powers. He can make you one of the most powerful Shinobis in the world.'

I suddenly recognise the name 'Orochimaru' and realise he's one of the legendary Sannin.

The air becomes silent for a few seconds.

'Why me?'

'Orochimaru-Sama sees you have some potential that the others don't.'

I slightly tilt my head, 'What do I have to do then?'

'Follow me to meet Orochimaru-Sama. But the thing is that you'll have to leave Suna.'

I feel that things aren't that simple and do not want to fall into this seemingly trap, 'Sorry, I can't leave my companions.'

Kabuto pushes his glasses up again. The glasses reflect sunlight to turn white, making me unable to catch his facial expressions. This feeling of unknown disturbs me a lot.

Kabuto lowers his voice, 'I see.' One corner of his mouth subtly lifts up.

Suddenly, a shuriken zooms pass my shoulder and hits the tree behind me. Within a second, Kabuto dashes towards me and stops beside my other shoulder. He swiftly pulls out a kunai and points it at my direction. Being vigilant through out the whole conversation, I am able to instantly dodge away from his attack.

'Nice dodge.' I hear Kabuto's voice coming from above my head. I lift up my head to see him crashing down towards me. I abruptly jump up to avoid from being hit.

Not wasting any time, I quickly make a hand sign, 'Kage Bunshin no Jutsu (Shadow Clone Jutsu)!' 10 shadow clones of myself burst out from a series of white smoke-like fog. 4 of my clones rush directly towards Kabuto, while 5 of them throw their shurikens and kunais at him.