6. Camellias

Sunlight shines upon my face, with breezes of calm wind gently touching my body. I am on the apartment balcony, stretching my arms straight.
'A fresh new day.'
I watch as people in the streets stroll around, mostly with smiles on their faces. My eyes and lips follow to curve.

Sadly, the smile doesn't last long.

Flashback

'So, what is that mission?'

Gaara's eyes move from the floor to me, 'Destroy Konoha.'

I did not expect this.

'...Why? Did Konoha do anything harmful to Suna?'

'Our village had been weakened throughout these years. Suna's budgets had been cut by the daimyō of the Land of Wind. Jobs were outsourced to Konoha. Kazekage-Sama wants us to destroy Konoha so that we can get back what we deserve,' Kankuro explains.

'How about the people here? Innocent people will have to suffer and die. Isn't there any other way to solve this problem instead of fighting? Can we stop this?' I really don't want to be an intruder, but only want to make friends and help both villages maintain a good relationship.

Temari says, 'That's why we didn't tell you about it earlier. Y/N, you are always too kindhearted. I remember telling you not to make any friends here, but you seem to have ignored my words. And one more point, we are teaming up with Otogakure. The combat will be on the day of the final exam.'

'This can't happen!'

'It must happen.'

'But-...'

'It's Kazekage-Sama's order!'

'Temari...' I watch as Temari walks away with her back facing me.

End of flashback

I remind myself that the village's beauty will not last long, and disappointedly get back to my room. It's been a week after the Three Sand Siblings' victories in the 1vs1 third stage exam.
Every Genin who passed it is on a one-month training period, preparing for the finals.

I decide to wander around Konoha as I've never really tried to do so. The streets are crowded, at least livelier than those in Suna. There are little kids running around, young couples holding each other's hands, middle-aged adults chatting joyfully about their kids, silver-haired elderly laughing graciously. The whole atmosphere is just very peaceful and heartwarming. I really wish that the day of destruction will never come.

At this moment, I stop outside a flower shop.
'A huge flower shop...we seldom see flowers in Suna.'
I step into the shop without hestitating.

A blond girl turns to look at me.
'I recognise her, she participated in the Chūnin exam.'

'Welcome!' She smiles to me as I smile back.

'Y/N?'

'Sakura? Didn't expect to see you here!' She is kneeling beside the blonde, seemingly picking flowers.

'You're here to buy flowers too?' Sakura asks me.

'I'm just touring around Konoha, but the flowers here look pretty.' I grin as I look around.

'Thanks! Don't know if you recognise me or not, but I joined the Chūnin exam too. I'm Yamanaka Ino!'

'Hey Ino, I'm L/N Y/N. What are you guys gonna do later?'

'Oh we are going to the hospital. We're gonna visit Sasuke and I'll visit Lee too.'

'Sasuke...Sakura's teammate who's a bit weird, and Lee...I know he's seriously injured after battling with Gaara.'
'Oh that's why you have two flowers.' I slightly turn my head, 'Woww these flowers look beautiful!'

'These are camellias,' Ino introduces.

'Camellias, perfect name.' I walk near the camellia pots, 'I've never seen such beautiful flowers in Sunagakure. Flowers there are rare I would say. You know, our village is made out of sand.'

Ino laughs, 'You can come more often if you want to!'

'Yep we can hang out together!' Sakura invites.

'Sure!' Of course I am glad to hear that, but I suddenly remember what the Three Sand Siblings said.

Flashback

'Y/N, I'm sorry to cut in, but you better not make any friends here.'

'Keep in mind that the two countries are always rivals.'

'So, what is that mission?'

'Destroy Konoha.'

'Kazekage-Sama wants us to destroy Konoha so that we can get back what we deserve.'

End of Flashback

'Y/N? Y/N!' Sakura's voice wakes me from my thoughts.

'Are you ok?' Ino asks.

'Oh...yea...I was thinking of buying this. How much does it cost?' I point to a yellow camellia.

'I'm selling it to you for free,' Ino picks up three yellow camellias and goes to take a bottle.

I widen my eyes, 'Three?'

'Yep, three for free!' Ino puts the camellias into the bottle. She says with one of her arms akimbo, 'One for welcoming you to Konoha, one for celebrating our friendships' start, and one for wishing you dreams come true since the three of us failed the exam. Here.' She hands me the bottle.

'Thank you so much Ino, they look gorgeous!'

'Glad you like them!'

Sakura smiles, 'Alright Ino let's go to the hospital.'

———————————————————————

Just as we pass by Yakiniku Q, we hear a loud voice from the restaurant, 'One more please!' We look to the door and hear again, 'For 10 people's serving!'

Looking through the windows, we see three people having a yakiniku meal. Technically, only one of them is enjoying the meat. The meat smells so good.

After some introductions, I know that the Jōnin is Asuma-Sensei, beside him is Nara Shikamaru and the chubby boy sitting at the opposite is called Akimichi Chōji.

Shikamaru will participate in the final Chūnin exam but he doesn't seem to have interest in it. Asuma-Sensei said to him, 'I heard Guy and Kurenai are training their students very hard.'

Shikamaru's hands are touching the back of his head, 'So?'

'It's not easy to get into the finals. Don't lose to your opponents immediately on that day,' Asuma-Sensei encourages.

Shikamaru makes a lazy face, 'What a drag.'

'So most of them are working hard for the exam...'
I feel so guilty but I have to hold back my urge to tell them the truth.

I then split up with Ino and Sakura in the street as they head to the hospital while I head home.

———————————————————————

Back at home, I place the bottle in a corner of the living room, starting to admire the leaves and petals of the three yellow camellias.
'Do we really have to do this?'